Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I could not consider myself a movie buff. Sure, I watch the movies but that would probably be one in three months at best. I would have to be swayed by friends to see a film before I go to a movie theater. I'd rather watch a play or a concert but since these shows do not come cheap, I hardly ever go, too. And yet, during the previous summers after last, my friend, Rolly Valmonte, one time Vice Principal in our school, during the height of his career, and I, would frequent the movie theaters practically every afternoon, after lunch. We do not have to report for work during summers, you see, but we do come to do some chores nevertheless. So, that gave us a lot of time to enjoy the summer and at the same time, work on a few odds and ends. And so we have ample time going to the movies. What is even odder was that we did not care whether the movie was good or not. Why? We only wanted to escape the summer heat. So, you'd see us snoring away at the middle of the show.

Too bad, my friend has already retired and I was all alone last summer. I would not dare go to the movie theater alone. What if a thug sits beside me and gets my wallet? So, those summer fiascos are over for good.

Anyway, talking about movies. Because I seldom see one, I only have about a nandful that I can say I really like. And yet, some of these films I either got to see on DVD and/or on cable tv. Now, if there's anything that can best describe myself, it would be that I am a couch potato! But I digress. What is odd about me is that no matter how I like a film, I grow tired of the lull moments and just wait for my favorite parts. Hence, you can just imagine how many tv remote controls I have broken because of abuse changing the channels to and fro. I already mentioned I have ADD in one post, didn't I? :-)

I just chanced upon one of these movies at the HBO yesterday. I'm talking about Hearts and Souls starring Robert Downey, Jr., Tom Sizemore, Charles Grodin, Alfre Woodard and Kyra Sedgwick. It is about four people who suddenly died when the bus they were riding tumbled, which was simultaneous with the birth of Downey's character. The four became imaginary friends of the child who is the only person who can only see them. After several years, the four decided to sever their relationship with the child as people are beginning to doubt the boy's sanity. They stayed with him, alright albeit him not being able to see them anymore. Thirty years later, the four guys were picked up by no less than the driver that caused their untimely death. It was by this time that they realized their purpose for staying on earth that long was to do their unfinished business with the help of the boy, their conduit to the material world.

Now, since I know all these and have seen it more than once already, I change channels everytime (I have chanced upon it several times already) and time it to the part that I really like. I am talking about the cameo role played by blues guitarist BB King! One of the dead people's, (I don't have his name, sorry. I told you I'm not a movie buff) unfinished business is to sing onstage. The matter was resolved in a BB King concert where he took over Downey's body and sang, what else, "The Star Spangled Banner". At the middle of the song, BB King heard him singing and decided to jam. The first shriek of the guitar just blows my mind... everytime, without fail! I don't know why but that scene always gives me goose pimples. I can feel angst, pleasure and whatever the blues is all about in that one note! Well, I may not be a movie buff but I am always a sucker for the blues!

The end!

10 comments:

ipanema said...

Am not so sure pero I think I've watched it already. Sometimes cameo roles are most entertaining. :)

Gilbert Yap Tan said...

Rolly, that's one of my fave films aside from Ghost, Always, Chances are, etc. that guitar riff was awesome!

auee said...

Aha I know that film! I've seen it on cable once. But the details are hazy.

I like the blues, too. But I'm not a follower. So have you seen the "Blues Brothers" film? That one rocks.

rolly said...

ipanema I'm sure you have. It was very popular when it was released in 1993.

gilbert Exactly. Those riffs are famously BB KIng's.

auee Yes. That one, too.

Unknown said...

haha, i love that movie. i have vague memories of renting it on vhs when we were kids. i chanced upon it last year on hbo, too, and i had fun revisiting it - "hey, i remember that part! oh, this is when they sing!" movies, i think, are inextricably entwined with my childhood. :)

rolly said...

miki yes, this is one of those movies where they also dance and sing (in good taste, I might add for it is not forced)

How do you find the blues? I don't know what the young ones feel about the genre I have learned to love.

Unknown said...

i haven't had much exposure to the blues, so i don't really know. maybe you could recommend a few titles/artists i could check out. :)

rolly said...

miki hmmm, with whom do I start... , there's Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Muddy Waters, BB King, John Mayall ... You can take it from there. Manganganak na yan. Enjoy!

batjay said...

me too. i love bb king and because i do, i did enjoy the movie.

i also liked the "walk like a man" song and loved how they inserted it in the movie.

rolly said...

batjay Ah, yes! Ang ganda rin nung scene na yun. Nakakaindak, parang tuwang-tuwa ang feeling ko dun.