Sunday, July 29, 2007

He ni zai yi qi

Yesterday morning, I was just bombing around, sitting in front of the tv and constantly changing channels since I woke up at 3 am, I got to see the beginning of what seemed to be an interesting Chinese film. Interesting turns out to be an understatement. To my surprise, I got to finish the entire film without falling asleep.

It is about a peasant father who took his son, who he believes is a genius for having won a lot of violin competitions since the age of five, to Beijing, the heart of China. What follows is a complicated web of plots within the plot. I found the ending heartwarming as the boy gives up his international competition stint to look for his father at the train station, together with the people that really mattered to his life, his friend Lily, his violin teacher and, his dad whose sacrifices were truly altruistic just so he can make something of himself. Teary-eyed, he gave his best performance at the train station as his competition, a young girl protege, took over his stint at the theater.

Ah, I don't think I've given the movie justice with my ineptitude to give a review. But I caught it at Star Movies and the title is Together. Now, there are two Chinese movies that I really like. This one and Not One Less, the story of a young substitute teacher who went through all the pain and the trouble looking for a stray student who braved the city.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I must see these. I trust your recommendation. :)

ipanema said...

I like the stories already. There are many good Chinese movies. With subtitles, we will be able to understand it. :)

Anonymous said...

The student who was made substitute teacher in Not One Less gave such a good performance that she went on to win international acclaim. I believe she is none other than Zhang Zhi Yi of Crouching Tiger fame.

the amateur ear said...

Hi Tito Rolly! I think you've already done this before, but would you mind sharing eight (more) facts about yourself? Yup, that's right, am tagging you, is that okay? Thanks!

rolly said...

bugsy I hope you get to see these films. Wala pa kong kakwentuhan eh.

ipanema This one's better as it is translated already. No need to read subtitles anymore.

bayi Really? i didn't know that. But then, I never got to watch Crouching Tiger.

AM Tingnan ko kung kakayanin ng sched ko ha. Not making any promises.

Anonymous said...

i also like Chinese movies specially those with Zhang Ziyi as the lead star.

cbs said...

based on the wonderful storylines you gave, i better watch these 2 films - though i would prefer to see the original, undubbed (& subtitled) version. minsan kasi, nawawala ang essence ng storya pag di magaling ang translator. kasi nga naman, di lang basta ita-translate, kailangan angkop pa din ang dialogue sa pagbuka ng bibig ng actors. minsan tuloy katawa-tawa pag di nag-uugma.

anyway, you might want to see crouching...and hero...and flying daggers. those are great chinese films too.

rolly said...

bingskee Had not my friend Bayi told me it was Zhang Zi Yi who starred in Crouching tiger and the teacher in Mot One Less, I would not know who she is. I am terrible in memorizing names.

CBS Yes, I've seen Hero and liked it, too. Before these films, I thought Chinese movies died with Bruce Lee. How ignorant can I be, huh?

You mean, you can understand chinese? Are you one? I didn't know that. Great!

Anonymous said...

tinignan ko kung meron sa youtube.. at meron nga!! galing!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yO28Ck1193w