Monday, February 19, 2007

You want it? Pay for it.

I mentioned in another post that I had been jamming with my two boys since they discovered a little music studio near our area. Well, the older of the two is so into music he had been bugging me to buy him an electric guitar since last year. I can see his interest with the instrument as I see him downloading tunes in the internet and trying to learn how to play it with my classical guitar. (Imagine trying to bend notes on a nylon string.) I told him earlier on that if he really wanted one, then he should at least shoulder half the cost. I thought that would be the end of it since I and my wife knows that he is rather stingy. :-)

I am serious about him paying for at least half of the price of an electric guitar. There are several reasons why and these are:

1. I do not have that much money. Inasmuch as I would like my children to have everything they wanted, I have to prioritize which ones I am giving in to as I am not a rich man. I will have to make every centavo count;
2. I would know that he is really determined to learn. I do not want to see another guitar cluttering our small house.;
3. I will be assured that he will take good care of it (he is stingy, remember?); and,
4. I co-own the instrument, hence, can play it anytime I wanted

I think my son is a born musician. He is self taught with the guitar. Read here how he learned to play the instrument. That ought to be inspiring.

He was in Grade 3 when he told me he wanted to play the violin. I told him sure but he will have to just use the school's violin first. I thought it was just a passing phase. But later on, I realized he was really that interested. I told my wife we better get him a cheap violin as he had to practice at home, too. So, we bought him a half-size violin. True enough, he always had that violin with him. When we were to go home, all I had to do was find that violin sound and sure enough, it was him. So, the following year, we asked my niece who lives in the States and was coming over for a visit, to buy him a full-size violin. You should see the smile on his face when he got the surprise. To date, he is a member of the orchestra and had been the school's concert master last year before he graduated high school.

Anyway, last Friday, he texted me to say that there was a sale on electric guitars and that he can shoulder half of the price. He had been earning from gigs with the orchestra and saving cash. I told him I had no cash available. He was really dismayed. The following day, my two Korean students who had been having classes with me for painting paid me. So, I asked my wife's permission if I can use the money to purchase the guitar our son wanted. She gave me the nod and so, I told my son to get his money ready as we were buying the sought after guitar. Well, we did buy it and as I expected I ended up paying for it more. About 55% of the cost (magulang talaga) True to form, my son is currently sleeping with it. Now my only wish is that the younger do not ask for a drum set as that is not really possible at this time.

15 comments:

ipanema said...

Ah, children. I live with the same principle. If they wanted something, save for it. It's a good way of instilling discipline in them.

Good post!

Anonymous said...

The arrangement you have worked out with your son for the electric guitar is excellent. One of the best principles in like is to cultivate the pride of ownership, and what better way than to make him pay half the price? He learns responsibility and will treasure the instrument without any nagging. I look forward to the days when he can churn out some excellent CDs for our enjoyment, with the father in the band, of course! :)

Unknown said...

I had two guitars when I was a kid but none of them came from my dad (but from my grandparents). And you're right - I took better care of the first guitar I bought with my own money (earned from teaching) than the two others even if they should have been given more value for sentimental reasons. My father was even more strict - with him, it was always "buy it with your own money".

batjay said...

ayos yan sir - tama ang ginawa mo. matututo siyang mag value ng bagay na gusto niya. ie - if you really want it, you have to work for it.

isa pa, tama yan para the next time kaming umuwi, mayroon tayong isang set sa conspiracy kaya magpractice na kayong maigi.

ibibigay ko sa iyo ang set list pag may schedule na kaming umuwi.

good luck!

rolly said...

ipanema I would like to believe that that is a wise move.
thanks

bayi That would still be a long time coming but it will. LOL!

bugsy Mas mahigpit nga tatay mo. hehe

batjay totohanan ba yan? Aba kailangang makabuo na kami ng mga kantang gusto mo. Sasabihin ko sa kanila. LOL!

batjay said...

tutuo siguro. eh pag hindi natuloy eh di tayo tayo na lang ang mag jamming.

mag imbita tayo ng mga blogger at may charge tayo ng tig 100 pesos.

JMom said...

lol!! yep, bakit nga ang magulang laging mas malaki ang percentage? :) As much as I would love to just get the things for my daughters that they want or need, I too believe that when they get something that they worked for, even partially, they will take better care of it.

And you know what, even though you ended up paying more, di ba it feels so good to see them happy? Just to see that look on their faces, I would pay for the whole thing. I'm sure you feel the same way. But, there are other lessons to learn, right? :)

rolly said...

duBatjay Call ako sa jamming. Pwede ring gawin nating open mic. Jamming to whoever wants to play, diba?

rolly said...

Jmom Minsan nga naiisip ko mas magulang ang anak e, no?

YEs, priceless ang smile ng bata pag na-appreciate nya yung bigay mo. Lalo na sa mga toddlers. Kaya lang, wala naman akong ipangsusunod sa luho kaya turuan ko na rin ng lesson. Mas okay pa. hehe

Ate Sienna said...

ayyyy.. na-touch naman ako sa kwento mo, unkel. mas lalo na dun sa part na nung makakuha ka ng pera, yung gitara nya agad ang naisip mo.

I hope that children, like yours, will always appreciate what their parents do for them. All the love, all the sacrifices. feeling ko nga kapag magulang, mababaw ang kaligayahan pagdating sa anak - makita lang na appreciated ng anak ang mga bigay nia, parang ang sarap-sarap na ng pakiramdam nila.

Anonymous said...

hello! ngayon lang ulit ako nakabisita dito ah! salamat sa electric guitar! woooh! minsan kasi mas masarap maglabas ng galit pag electric guitar kaysa sa violin, baka masira ko pa.

buti na lang talaga alam ni Coby na mahirap mapilit bilhin ang drums! ahahahaa! liit na ng bahay natin baga magambala pa yung mga daga't ipis! ahahahaha! pero partida na kay Coby na wala siyang drums. kahit sa unan lang siya nag eensayo galing pa rin.

bayaan mo, maiintindihan ko rin yung pakiramdam mo kung papayagan mo na ako mag asawa. BUWHAAHAHAHAHA!!

rolly said...

Ate Sienna Sinabi mo pa. Nag-eenjoy din naman ako kasi ito ang unang electric guitar na akin talaga. Ay, sa amin palang dalawa.

Mickey Ingatan mong maigi at wag sayangin ang ipinambili natin. Medyo mahal eh. eheh

kat said...

great principle. and i'm glad that your son is enjoying playing the guitar! did he get an amp to go with it? i'm so excited for him!

also, there are many avenues to get a good, used guitar (some hardly played) so there is always that option (at least here!)

my own parents, unfortunately to some extent, spoil me and my brothers. it's a wonder i didn't grow up as a b*tch! hahah... but i took it upon myself to get a job during high school and college, and i plan to do the "if you want it, save up for it yourself" method w/ my own kiddos...

kat said...

ack! did my comment just get lost?

rolly said...

Kat I'm sorry but I did not get any comment for moderation yet. This is not the first time this happened. Can you please post it again? Sorry for the trouble.