Saturday, October 01, 2005

Proud papa don't preach


mickey performing a la andres segovia/earl klugh Posted by Picasa

compliments to nica for the picture.


Yesterday, my son (yes, he's blogging now!), Mickey asked permission if he can bring my guitar to school. I was a bit hesitant as that guitar has a very significant meaning for me. (I have blogged about it and if you're interested, just follow this link.) It turned out that he volunteered to play the guitar in an intermission number for an activity of Juniors and Seniors at the main theater. I conceded and gave him my nod. I told him to just leave the guitar in my office and to come and get it from there should he want to practice. He agreed and said it's not yet certain anyway if he could be allowed to perform.

I completely forgot about it and was out of the office during lunchtime. Naturally, he wasn't able to practice.

Showtime came. I think he was told that there would only be one intermission number and that he might not be able to perform. "Performing was already out of my mind," he told me later. What happened was the judging took some time more (it was some sort of a songwriting contest for Juniors and Seniors) and the teacher-in-charge asked him to go up the stage to perform. So, when the announcer called out his name, that started a gruelling experience I've ever encountered.

You see, I've seen him perform playing the violin before. That's supposed to be his instrument. He's had proper training and had been playing the instrument since grade three. But the guitar? He just picked it up this year. One time, my guitar was lying on the sofa, he picked it up, and began asking me questions about where the notes are. "Pa, where is C (do)? Where is D (re)? etc. Then, he asked to see my guitar pieces. I gave him an easy piece to humor him. He struggled and I kept reminding him where the notes where. Soon enough, he was already playing the instrument to my amusement. "Geez, I don't think I taught that boy!" So, playing the guitar was fine, but performing live? Talking about kicking it up a notch! He's not only kicking, he's trying to pull a round house flying kick! I would assume he wouldn't have the guts. But not my Mickey. Somehow, I feel he has set out a goal and that the only thing that is preventing him is stage fright and he knew he has to confront his demons.

So going back to my gruelling experience. Once his name was called, I already start setting my sensors on. How would the audience react? Would they be booing? I hope not because that would hurt big time! Would he suddenly have mental block and stop playing in the middle of the tune? (That happened to me with my friend Redjie, you see) Will he be heard considering that he's not really accustomed to plucking strings as he's always used a bow? Will the students holler and heckle him? What do I do just in case? Will I stand up and show them I was watching.

No, let him be. He will have to face this alone.

During the intro, he missed the third note and he stopped! He strethed his hand and fingers, wiggled his foot, looked at the audience searching for someone, who I later on learned was his sister Kim, signalled her the thumbs up sign which she acknowledged, and start playing again. He played Earl Klugh's rendition of "If you should know by now" and the girls started singing the song once they picked it up. I, on the other hand, was trying to send out mental signals (as if they work) "too slow!" "too soft" "put the guitar closer to the mike" while my heart pounded.

Finally, the song was finished and he gave a bow. He finished it without a fluke. Everybody cheered. And my ordeal was finished. I had to go to the clinic to check my BP. I swear, the next time he performs, I will demand that my wife watch it with me. Nevertheless, I am avery proud papa right now.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rolly said...

Anonymous I don't allow spammers. Unless you wnat ot pay me for your ads.

cathy said...

titorolly,

what can i say, stagefather. hahaha
mas ninerbiyos pa yong tatay eh.
Buti hindi ka naggigitara diyan ng walang gitara.

Anonymous said...

YES!! ahahah!! sobrang kinabahan po talaga ako nun! thanks sa blog! Sayang, yun na yung pinaka magandang piece ko sa gitara. May 2nd chance pa kaya? muwahahahaa

Anonymous said...

As parents, we worry too much about our children. Me included, of course. And it turns out, they almost inevitably do fine, if they don't excel. You have every right to be proud of your son!

rolly said...

Cathy naku Cath, kung nandoon ka, kakabahan ka rin. Siguro nga stage father ako. Pero noon lang naman kasi nga hindi naman nya instrumento yun. Ni hindi nya nga alam ang mga pangalan ng chords kasi naka nota sya. Lakas lang talaga ng loob ng anak ko.

Mickey Just make sure you do everything with conviction everytime and you'll never go wrong. I'm always proud of you.

Bayi Maybe. I know you know what you're saying. Yeah, no matter what they do, we have to support them all the way.

Jet said...

hehehe... nakakatuwa ang kwento nyo Tito. Well, your son is really gutsy, I will have to give that to him. I've had a taste of the stage, and stage fright each time. I've felt my stomach churning, and my vision blurring and my head splitting and I swear at that time, my BP must have been more than 200 systolic. But when you finish the number and you receive a few cheers, it's all worth it. It simply is. :D

Especially when you know your mom or dad have seen you perform.

Dr. Emer said...

Kudos to Mickey and Kudos to the very proud dad, Tito Rolly.

I've seen him play before, and I had no doubts that he can pull off any performance, even a concert (?!?) in the future.

Piece of cake yan sa kanya, Tito Rolly. =)

rolly said...

Jet Thanks. I know the feeling. When I have the chance to perform on stage, i can fel butterflies in my stomach, my heart pounding like hell but the glory after the performance is all worth it.

No, he didn't know if I would be watching or not.

Doc Emer kudos goes to Mickey alone. I didn't do anything at all. Just lent him my guitar. Thanks.

bing said...

bakit nga kaya ganun, 'no? mas kabado ang parents kaysa sa anak na magpe-perform. the fact is, we just couldnt bear their failure or the thought of failure, for them. we just love our kids that much!

congrats to mickey! and to the proud papa!

Anonymous said...

naka naman! ikaw kaya nag turo nang basics. thanks dad!

Ate Sienna said...

hahahaha.. inggit naman ako kay mickey. ako nga hindi marunong mag-plucking sa gitara.

way to go, mickey!!!

batjay said...

ito ba yung earl klugh version na parati mong tinutugtog pag nagkikita tayo? galing naman bossing. i would be proud as well if i were in your shoes.

congratulations.

Anonymous said...

well, i'm not surprised you're such a proud papa. he looked ROCKING in that pic. ay teka pala, JAZZING, LOL. just dropping by -- an Earl Klugh and Andres Segovia fan

rolly said...

Bing Oo nga e. Nung mga first time pa lang siyang nag-perform sa violin nung grade three siya, abot abot ang kaba naming mag-aasawa habang tuwang-tuwa naman yung mga kapatid niya. Ewan ko ba, sanay na ko dapat e kung bakit naman kasi naisipan pang kalikutin yung gitara ko. hehe

Mickey mas maalam ka nga sa music theory ngayon. Basta unahin lang parati ang pag-aaral hane.

Ate Sienna May advantage satin si Mickey e. Marunong syang bumasa ng nota bago pa humawak ng gitara. Tayo nun kasi, puro chords ang umpisa kaya puro strumming.

Thanks nga pala sa comment mo dun sa blog nya ha.

Batjay Oo, yung parating hindi natin matapos kasi busy tayong lahat sa kwentuhan. Hanggang ngayon, isang kanta pa lang natapos natin no? hehe

stef First of all, sorry but I just got to read your comment on my poetry blog. Hindi na ko naka-respond kasi late na and besides, baka wala na akong oras para makahabol.

mahilig ka rin sa jazz at classical? cool!

{illyria} said...

now that was sweet. glad it turned out well. and you did a great job supporting your son, rolly. =)

JMom said...

Haha! parang ikaw yung nasa onstage, no? Ganyan din ako, by the time their performances are over, I feel like crying just to release the stress. Mickey sounds like a dream! Actually, all your kids do :-) I know that's all because of their parents.

darlene said...

i was grinning as i read your post, the experience of having to watch your son perform. hahaha! parang ikaw yata ang nagka stage-fright!

my first time here. definitely, i will be back! :)

Anonymous said...

and proud you should be. bring a bottled water with you next time :) you should be proud of yourself too, for being one great parent to him :)(g)

Anonymous said...

Dad
pag aaral? hmmm.. ok naman po diba? hindi masyadong matataas pero ok na para saakin na maraming gustong alamin sa buhay.

tama! lamang ako dahil marunong na ako bumasa nang nota. at swerte rin ako dahil marami akong nakilalang magaling tumugtog. ang payo nila ay ang mag simula muna sa CLASSICAL. hehehehe

Anonymous said...

tito rolly,

nakaka-aliw basahin, ang sarap ng mayroong papang tulad mo ahehehe, nga pala, we enjoyed your company last time, sorry we have to go so soon. Anyway, kudos s ainyo ni Mickey.

Edz

Romeo Moran said...

sir, i also believe that your son is a musical genius. i was telling my seatmates in the audience that your son is awesome. :P

rolly said...

Transience At this time, all i can do is support my children. I hope we've taught them well and will need little guidance, if at all. Thanks a lot.

JMom My wife and I try our best to give them good breeding. Hopefully they will grow to be responsible adults. Thanks.

Darlene Welcome to my world. Please do come back. I like meeting new friends. :-)

G I'll always remember that. Thanks.

Mickey Konting pukpok pa. College is a different ballgame. READ!

Edz The pleasure was mine. I always enjoy being in the company of poets/writers. They always provide me with a lot of inspiration and, frankly, being with PP brings back my youth of long ago. hehehe

pepseeh musical genius? Hmmm, ano yun si MOzart? hahaha I think it's more of the interest he's showing with the instrument. Playing good is always the result of constant practice. I know you're also part of the orchestra so you know what I'm talking about. Practice always and study your lessons well.

Anonymous said...

galing galing ng anak ninyo tito rolly! talagang malaki ang hanga ko sa mga musically-inclined (kasi walang-wala ako dito, hehe)--at merong guts and generous enough to share it. great job mickey!

Romeo Moran said...

sir, that musical genius was just me giving praise to your son. i just think he's really really good. :P

as for my skills, they're unusual. i don't practice at home (which is a big no-no, i know) but then i'm good come rehearsal time.

Anonymous said...

may gitara din ako, pero nangangalawang na.. huhu!

rolly said...

Sis Mahilig lang talaga siguro kaming mag-ama sa music. This is one of my frustrations - to become a musician that is. I must have passed it on to Mickey.

pepseeh If you say so. But then, if you practice ore, lalo ka pang gagaling, I tell you.

Naomi Madali lang ang problema mo. Bili ka ng gitarang classical, hindi ito kakalawangin. hehehe.

Biro lang. hehehe Sayang naman ang gitara mo kung kakalawangin lang. Tugtog na't nang maaliw si mister.

Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

thanks for swinging back tito rolly thank you.. taga dyan din po kami sa Pasig noong araw, our old house sa Valle Verde. That's far too long ago year 1980. Hope to see you guys pag uwi ko, thanks po.

P.S.
i added you on my links
hope it's ok. At home po ako sa blog nyo, salamat ulit. Happy weekend tito! =)

Anonymous said...

sana makadalaw rin kayo sa mansion namin.. iniintay po kayo doon thanks thanks!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I believe it is universal. Everywhere parents act the same way. It happened to me many times kahit na alam ko kayang kaya nya.

Ang guess ko dito ay ang pagiging protective natin sa mga anak natin.

Siguro ganito talaga mga parents.

Anonymous said...

galing ni mizel!!!!

Romeo Moran said...

oo nga sir, i know. :P but lugging a heavy tenor sax in and out of school is rarely comforting. :P

tamad lang ako. yun lang :P

rolly said...

Naomi Taga Pasig ka rin pala dati. Valle Verde? Malapit lang samin yun. Sige, pag umuwi ka, sabihan mo lang ako't pupuntahan kita. hehe

Kaluskos Galing na ko dun. Hmm, hindi ko alam kung sino ang dumalaw sakin. Dami nyo e. Pero maganda yung concept at ang contents. Keep it up.

myepinoy I believe it's universal, too. minsan nga, nagiging over-protective tayo much to the discomfort of the child. Wag naman sana. hehe

eibee Thank you daw.

pepseeh Rules are rules. You have to log-in and log-out talaga.

Anonymous said...

wow galeng, segovia. i'd be a stage father too if a.) i had a kid and b.) he's that gifted :D

rolly said...

Jorge Welcome to my blog. I've been to your site and discovered that you're a musician! Wow. And you've played lead for Les Mis! Maybe you can teach me play a lot better. Kasi, kung baga sa singer, sa banyo lang ako kumakanta e. Yang pag-gitara, talagang hobby lang.

Anonymous said...

tito rolly: sa akin din actually, marami nagsasabi na sa banyo na lang daw ako *lol* parang I gave new meaning daw to being miserable in les miserables.. the production was a rock version eh :D

thanks for stopping by pala :)

rolly said...

jorge No, thanks for dropping by here. That led me to discover your wonderful site.

Rock version ng Les Mis? hmm. sinong gumawa? Di ko pa narinig yun ah.

JC Superstar pa lang actually ang napanood kong rock opera e.