Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Pride and shame

I'm so proud of my eldest while I feel ashamed of myself. You see, they have never seen me go home drunk before. Well, at least not in a very very long time. Maybe while they were about two or three years old when all they have were fond memories of toys and dolls and those family outings that no memory of their father going home drunk really mattered. It was very seldom anyway.

Last Sunday, my wife had a three-day seminar in Zambales and I had nothing to do. So, when my friends told me to join them for a drink, I went. As I and my friends know that I am not allowed to drink alcohol, they just offered me red wine. Lo and behold, unbeknownst to me, I have gobbled up two bottles and was pretty drunk. The fact that I came there on a cab made me think it would be okay since I was not driving. Besides, I used to finish a Carlos I with no problem at all. Never got drunk with red wine.

When I got home, I sat on the sofa and before I knew it, I puked! I ran to the toilet but even then couldn't contain myself and threw up some more spilling everything my tummy can offer. I immediately took a bath while my daughter cleaned up after me.

Here's the funny part. Last night, when my wife arrived, my daughter, together with the other siblings, asked her mom, "Ma, has papa confessed yet?" My wife asked what happened? The children were silently waiting for my response. I couldn't look my children in the eyes but I jokingly said, "I was with three beautiful women last night." hehehe

This morining, it was just me and my eldest inside the car on the way to work. I asked her, "have you told your mother?" "No, of course not. It's your duty to tell her." I said I will in due time. All she said was, "you should! Ang kapal ng face mo pag hindi."

I tell you, once your kids have grown, they will always end to be the wiser.

14 comments:

Panaderos said...

We're human and sometimes those "mistakes" couldn't be helped. We see friends we haven't seen in a while and we're reminded of the fun times we had with them.

I'm sure that someday, your kids will understand. Don't worry too much about it my friend.

Anonymous said...

very familiar scenario. baka pag malaon marinig mo na lang, "ang hirap magpalaki ng magulang" ha ha

rolly said...

panaderos i don't worry that much. I just feel ashamed that my kids would have to see me go home drunk as that. Never happened before. :-)

bing hindi malayong mangyari. Parati kong napapagalitan pag kumakain ako ng bawal eh.

Anonymous said...

If your kids and your wife know that you drink socially (at times), which is a norm in this modern society, there will be times when you will come home drunk (either your buddies or your boss "coerced" you to drink one too many or the drinks were stronger than you thought they were)but as long as you are a responsible drunk (did not drive, pick a fight physically or verbally, kick your neighbors pets, or sing aloud out of tune)there is nothing to be ashamed of.
If that is the worst they can pin on you as a father, your family is lucky and you are a saint LOL. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I was in a lot of worst situations than that Ka Rolly. When I was a bachelor, I used to drink everyday. One time I came home literally crawling. My Mom looked at me then at my father remarking “Mahirap din na walang tagapagmana”.

All of that stop when I got married. Now a day, I just drink a glass or two of brandy, but only when there’s an occasion.

ipanema said...

hahahahaha...nakupo! a bottle of red wine?

you're right, our children will grow wiser. i love that part when they ask their mother if you've confessed. :)

rolly said...

ipanema Actually 2 bottles hehehe

Nakakatawa nga kasi I tried confessing na pero narinig pa lang yung wine, nagalit na sakin, e ayoko na. beeeeeh

{illyria} said...

oh man. i'm sorry that had to happen, rolly. but it's nice to know you raised a great kid, even though the one who's at the receiving end of the proof is you. two bottles of red wine, eh? i'll get drunk with a few sips, because my system is so not friends with alcohol.

RJ said...

naiconfess nyo na po ba lahat o hanggang wine pa lang din? hahaha!

kailangan talaga right timing ang pagpapaliwanag. =D

rolly said...

illyria yes, I did. So, you're not a wine drinker. What's your poison?

RJ HIndi pa rin. Nagsubok pero narinig pa lang yung wine nagalit na e. wag na lang, diba? AT least sinubukan ko hehehe

Unknown said...

Tito Rolly, buti na lang nakauwi ka pa. If it's any consolation to you, I've seen grown-ups who pass out before getting home.

Leaving it up to you to make "the confession" instead of telling on you says something about how you have raised your child. Bow ako, Tito Rolly.

As for you, my friend, better hurry and confess. ha ha ha! Aabangan ko ang sequel.

rolly said...

bigsy Even when I was still at my prime at kalakasan ng pag-inom, I always made it a point to go home no matter what. At hindi ako nagpapahatid ha. Anyway, maybe because I did not drive then.

Yes, my children have always been my source of pride and joy.

ipanema said...

lol...2 pa pala. as of this writing, talagang nabasa na ni mrs. 'kasalanan' mo. :)

bayi said...

I guess your wife already knows by now.

We get drunk usually when we let our guard down and think that we can handle the drink. In your case, you thought red wine was ok. Red wine, for the most, contains as high if not more alcohol content than other alcoholic beverages.

In shame (as it's the time to share our confessions, I think) let me *whisper* in your ears that I once woke up on the stairs to my bedroom. I must have fallen asleep on the way to bed!

Those were the good old wanton days of free spirit and abandon. I must have caused my wife a lot of heartache. Well, never again.