Sunday, July 16, 2006

a newbie bus rider

I don't usually put my poems in this blog as I maintain another blog for my poetry. Hwoever, there are several reasons why I am putting this poem here. First, I have just posted a new one in my poetry blog which you might want to know also contains a reprint of a surprise poet, (surprise because I didn't know he wrote poetry)a very good friend of mine. Secondly, because this is a true story (one of my experiences in Canada) and lastly, I want other people to know that I have another blog (plugging, hehe)

Anyway, this is about my first bus ride in Canada. Yes, I have been there three times and yet never experienced riding a bus. This was a first time for me. Hope you like it. Here goes:


Newbie rides the bus


Take the car," she says.
But I'd rather take the bus
that knows where it's going
than drive around the city,
lost

I walk to Moncton
unmindful of the seagulls flying past
owning the vast space above my head
freely going to and from their nest
transporting food for their young.

Clad in sweatshirt and a jacket on my arm
toying with a twoney and a quarter in my hand
I plan the journey
up ahead

sitting on the bench at the stop
I wonder if the bus will take me
directly to Gastown
where the Seabus docks

or should I transfer to another...
but which one and where I do not know.
Thoughts of Rosa Parks
run through my head
or falling flat on my face
or being shouted at
for a clumsy move

together with a thousand
horror stories happening
on my first bus ride

until

a twenty year old woman arrives,
smiles and tells me,
"You'll have to transfer at Richmond Center
take the B39, get off at Waterfront,
walk a block to The Station to find
the Seabus that'll take you to North Van."

No glitches till now
until I take the trip back.
Should I take the bus to Railway
or should it be Steveston
and walk less than a mile?

Bus going to Railway arrives
decide to take it now
than wait for the other.

People standing in front of me
waiting for seats to be vacated.
I look out the window,
and realize, "ah Railway!"

Suddenly, the bus made a turn at Wilson,
I panic! The bus could be headed back
to the Center.

With bags in tow
I get off and decide to walk
only to find out that it's all of four miles!
to make matters worse
my bladder is full
and I really have to go

Halfway there... drats! It begins to rain.

9 comments:

Lani said...

I'm a long time lurker of this blog, Mang Rolly. I enjoy reading your stories.

Nice one here.

rolly said...

lani Uy, thank you. Buti naman at nagparamdam ka na. I always want to know what others think.

cent said...

Hmm... did I interpret this poem correctly? I have my assumptions, esp. about the last line...

Anyway, in response to your comment sa blog ko, mabuti naman po ako. I'm already in 3rd year, Chem Eng'g sa DLSU. A little more than two years to go (including this term). Everything's going pretty well. :)

Ate Sienna said...

question!!! saan umulan, unkel??? kaloka yun ah!

pero i can relate to this so well. naligaw nga ako nung unang bus ride ko sa calgary. ngatog pa ako sa kyerbos at lamig.

malayo ang 4 miles, ah! pwede ka namang sumakay ulit, diba?

rolly said...

cent I wonder what it is you are assuming. Anyway, as long as you can make the pieces fit, then your interpretation is correct. :-)

ate sienna Nung halfway na ko sa paglalakad, umulan. At nang malapit lapit na ko, bumuhos na. Take note, hindi ako jumingle sa pantalon kahit basang-basa na ko ha.

Yun nga ang problema, walang dumadaang bus dun sa parteng iyon ng Railway. At ang nakakainis, hindi naman pala babalik ng Center yung bus kundi iikot lang ng Steveston at pamula dun e pupunta na sya ng Moncton kung saan ako nanggaling. Kakaloka no?

Rey A said...

Hello Tito Rolly, I can relate to your story cum poetry. This was during my first year in MN...the apprehension and misdirection...but at least I wasn't off by four miles :)but still I had to walk part of the way to get to where I wanted to go.

rolly said...

Rey A Uy nakakita ko ng kakampi. The problem with that place is that unlike here in Manila where you can easily get a ride anywhere, it does not work that way there. But it was a totally great experience nontheless.

ting-aling said...

hehe, kung bakit kasi ayaw mong mag-bus noong sinasabihan kang mag-bus. but I am glad that you experienced it. translink was the best transpo in North America in the late 90s. di ko na alam ngayon. dapat sinubukan mo rin yung from end of skytrain to the other end and beyond..

rolly said...

ting Thanks to you, na experience ko to. Ang sarap ng feeling. Parang taga roon na talaga ako. hehe