Monday, April 24, 2006

the rain stops, too

There is this saying "when it rains, it pours" signifying an abundance of something fortunate (or unfortunate)happening in one's life. I think, basing on my previous posts, my life has had an abundance of very nice things happening. Well, the past posts had been about celebrations here and there, right? There was Mickey's graduation, my happy married life, which is actually a prelude to my wife's birthday, our 21st wedding anniversary, and my coming trip to Canada next week. When it rains it pours, right? Well, the rain, no matter how strong, stops, too.

Yesterday morning, while I was getting ready to go to my mom's house, my brother called to inform me that our aunt, (the only aunt I've known), who we all fondly call "Mommy" is at the ICU fighting for her life. The details are still unclear to me but last Thursday, while accompanying a blind neighbor to a friend's house to guarantee for a loan, she complained of the terrible heat snf without any warning, collapsed. She was taken to the hospital and was later on put at the ICU.

She is my mother's older sister. She's 89 years old. The thing is, while my mother is now suffering from alzheimer's disease, my aunt is still strong and very lucid. When I was growing up, my mother snf my aunt would always tell me that they sang duets when they were much younger. If I remember correctly, they sang regularly in a radio show. My mother would sing the melody while "mommy" sang "second voice". As if to prove their story, they would sing for me while I accompany them with my guitar. They do sing in harmony albeit missing lyrics here and there. You know, the kundiman types. It was from them that I got to know that my grandfather was a judge, a violinist and a composer. Unfortunately, none of his compositions ever surfaced to my knowledge. It was from "mommy" that I learned that my grandfather looked exactly like me. There was a time when she even took out a picture of my grqndfather to prove her point, but honestly, I couldn't make head or tails from that old picture as it was so small, (ID size) and was blurry probably due to the length of time she kept it in her wallet (or whereever she took it from when she showed it to me). My grandfather died when they were young girls, not even teen-agers yet. My grandmother re-married to someone, a name I have forgotten, who, in fairness, had been good to them. And he died, too, so my grandmother had to be widowed twice.

At any rate, I remember my aunt with fondness. When I was growing up, she was the epitome of fun. They had a car and her visits always meant there was a cake. Usually, that would be my birthday. Once I get to see the car park near our house, I would jump with joy for it meant there'll be a lot of goodies and probably a ride in their car. Going to their house had always been a treat, too. It has always been fun for me as there had always been lots of people in their house. She had 9 children and I would assume much later on that each one in the household would have guests. It also helped that all of her children play an instrument well. Ironically, none of my siblings play an instrument, or even sing in tune! So there would be lots of singing and drinking in their house. To a child who was practically growing up alone, this meant fun.

When I got to the hospital, I couldn't look at her. I could not even say hello as I see what they have done to her just to keep her alive. Please help me pray for her. She may not survive this but hopefully, she wouldn't feel any pain.

11 comments:

tintin said...

I am very sorry to hear about this development. I will be praying for her.

Rey A said...

Hi Tito Rolly, I hope and pray that your aunt will get well soon. Also wishing you a safe and successful trip to Canada. Why don't you post pics of your paintings in your blog so we can also appreciate it?

{illyria} said...

so sorry, rolly. sending you my fondest thoughts.

rolly said...

Tintin Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

rey a We all hope she gets well, too. We are very fond of her. Thank you.

Re the paintings, I do have posted some of them here. You'll just have to do some digging at the archive. I believe their mostly in my July or August of 2004.

transience you're back! It's been a long time since I have been bloghopping. Thanks for dropping by and for your thoughts.

<

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry to hear this, rolly. It's my prayer that your aunt will recover and that you will make your trip to Canada in peace and without uncertainty. God bless.

Dr. Emer said...

The "shuttle from beyond" usually comes during the months of April-May. I would like to be scientific about it, and think it is the extreme heat that tend to be harmful for the old ones. I say we isolate the senior citizens during March-May inside comfortable aircon rooms, and see if morbidity will decline.

I pray hard that your aunt pulls out of this. Godbless, Tito Rolly!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that, i will surely pray for your aunt's fast recovery.
My first visit here, nice blog tito.

batjay said...

sana ok lang ang auntie mo bossing.

rolly said...

mickobbayi thanks. I hope so, too.

Doc Emer Yes, I think the heat has something to do with her attack. Thanks.

curacha Welcome to my blog. Thanks for the prayers.

bajay Sana nga pero nang itanong ko kahapon kung kamusta na siya, ganon pa rin daw, sabi nung kapatid kong panganay.

Vicky said...

'gidday tito roly from down under... just visited your blog today and it's pretty impressive... but so sorry to learn about your auntie. I hope things turn out for the best. I was in the Phils (baguio) in Feb also to visit my mom who was sick.

rolly said...

Vicky Welcome to my blog. Thanks for reading and commenting. My aunt passed away yesterday.