Wednesday, December 21, 2005

old friend!

I just got reunited with my very first online friend, Chet. Actually, she started it all. Me writing that is. It was in 98 when I had nothing better to do and was just learning how to use the computer. I chanced upon an online university called Writersvillage. No, actually that's the new name. It was called something else before. Anyway, I don't remember what got into me but I tried enrolling in its free fiction writing workshop. Not knowing what to expect, I got a message from her on the message board welcoming me to the group saying we were practically neighbors as she is from Malaysia. I'm glad she did because she didn't really have to as she was the coordinator of another group, not in mine. (we were divided into several groups with a coordinator for each) She made me feel comfortable which made me a little confident in spite of my inability to really write. What do I know, right? I have not written a single word except for those English compositions I did in primary school. And I did not even get very high grades for those. We had been communicating via emails and the message boards since then.

Then suddenly it stopped for some reason or another. Maybe we had both been extremely busy. This Christmas season, I sent her a card hoping she'd remember me. And she did. I'm glad. I hate losing a friend.

18 comments:

cathy said...

Merry Christmas to you titolly and your family.

kat said...

I love getting correspondence from old friends and acquaintances! Hope your correspondence flourishes!

Just wanted to wish you and your family a beautiful Christmas season and a Happy New Year filled with many blessings!

Keep the entries and artwork coming! They are very enjoyable and memorable! And I will one day, commission you to create some artwork for me!

Happy Holidays!

rolly said...

Cath Merry Christmas to you, too.

Kat How's the baby coming along? Malapit na!

Merry Christmas to you and the hubs and the coming baby, too. I will try to write more often.

Okay. I am just an email away.

batjay said...

yan ang masarap na kaibigan. yung walang pretense at parating handang tumulong. bihira ang mga ganyang tao and tama ka bossing, you don't want to lose them.

importante rin yung hindi pikon. ngyehehe.

auee said...

Ako din, i hate losing friends... Kaya lang minsan walang magagawa. Minsan nga bitter pa ko dahil most of the time distance "lang" naman ang cause. I do recognise that it's my fault too for not making the move to communicate more often. False pride ba yun o simple stupidity? Sometimes I'm so caught up in my tiny world I've no time for anyone else.

So good for you for getting Chet "back".

nb: the hyperlink in chet's name is broken, you've put in comma instead of period. ARRRGGGHH can't help it, the software tester in me is sorry.

rolly said...

auee Yes, sometimes we are caught up with our own world we forget about the others who even helped us get to where we are at the present.

Thanks for telling me about the broken link. Will correct that immeduately. Merry Christmas to you.

SamanthaTirthdas said...

You never lose real friends even if you haven't spoken to them in a while the bond of friendship remains. Its great that you were able to rekindle an old friendship. I suddenly have the urge to send Christmas cards to old old freinds :)
Anyways, thank you so much for everything sir! Happy Holidays to you and your family! :)

Jhun Billote said...

Hello Tito Rolly...just dropped by to wish you and your family the best of everything this Christmas. God bless!

Chet said...

Hey Rolly - look out for a package in your mail soon. :)

rolly said...

batjay Sating dalawa, talagang importatnte hindi pikon. hahaha

Sam Good luck on the scholarships! I know you'll get it.

metal! Long time no see! Merry Christmas to you and your family, too. Does this mean you're blogging again?

Chet Wow! Thanks.

:: said...

Friends come and go, but the one that matters is still here in presence or in spirit.

Merry christmas to your whole family sir.

rolly said...

Basangpanaginip Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

Chet said...

I forgot to mention - don't look out for a package bearing a Malaysian postmark, but for one bearing an American postmark.

*mysterious*

Kiwipinay said...

Maligayang Pasko, kuya Rolly, pati na rin sa iyong pamilya!

rolly said...

Chet Hey, does this mean you're in the States touring?

kiwi Maraming salamat! Maligayang pasko din sayo.

vonjobi said...

tito rolly,

we're not really much more than online friends. but that's what's good about the internet and blogging: we can develop friendships and learn more about each other than the people we meet every day. maybe someday we'll all finally meet and talk to each other as if we've known each other offline for the longest time =)

merry christmas!

rolly said...

Jing Merry Christmas to you and your family.

vonjobi Online friends today, real friends tomorrow. Why not? We both belong to the same group and profession. We have a lot in common. That's a good way to start, isn't it. Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family!