Monday, May 17, 2004

1st day in the office

My new job is a little interesting. It's totaly different from what I've learned in school. Not only because I am a Fine Arts graduate and being in-charge of discipline to at least 600 students or so and the classroom management of 30 teachers is different but more so because I was a teacher's nightmare in elementary and high school. Well, not entirely true. I was also loved by some. The thing is, being an outstanding student, I was not.

Anyway, I was reading the cases of students placed under Strict Disciplinary and Disciplinary Probations knowing that they will be the first cases I will be looking at come opening day of classes, I was contemplating why these students were placed in such a predicament. I can only look back and think of the days I was still a student. (And that was a long long time ago.) What prompted me to do what I did that caused me too much trouble? I can only think of one basic answer: "Blame it on my youth." In other words, I didn't know any better. And yet, I know I cannot use this as an excuse to errant students. I am here to guide them. Teach them how to live in a world that is full of rules, follow a strict conduct of morals, ethics, etc... in other words, everything I rebelled in during my heyday. Ah, this is going to be a tight journey. All I can say to myself is "brace yourself, man. Hold on to the rails so that you don't get thrown out of the ship."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sir, this is Anna O. I think the students are losing a lot because you're not their teacher. Haha. I owe you a testimonial pa. My on line journal is www.livejournal.com/users/ahnnabanana. I'll catch up on your blog soon. See you around!

Cerridwen said...

hi Sir, I am catching up on your blogs since I am new in blogging and I normaly stop myself from commenting on old post since they are what it is "old" but stillwith sense. I just want to give my 2 cents on this base on experience...sometimes students who go astray just need someone who will believe in them...and it makes a big difference in their life. :) thanks and I am enjoying your blog tremendously.