Monday, September 05, 2022

Bacolod, the City of Smiles

 On October 23, my wife and I embarked on a tour of Bacolod, Iloilo and Guimaras with our close friends. We have been friends with these guys since our much younger days. I was alone with the girls in Bacolood as the husbands are still working. They are going to join us in Iloilo on the fourth day.

Being retired, my wife and I have all the time in the world to enjoy ourselves. Why not? We have to enjoy touring while we still can, right?
The only set back of the tour is our flight via Air Asia. IT SUCKED BIG TIME! We experienced about four reschedules. The week before our flight, we were told our flight had been rescheduled to a much earlier time, 4:00 am!!! That meant we had to be at the airport at around 2 am at least. Then, a few days after, it was rescheduled again to 5 am. I thought, this is much better as I will have time to at least sleep until 2 am and leave for the airport at 3. On our way to the airport, I received a text message that the flight has been rescheduled to 7. WTF!!!! I could have stayed in bed and rested. Well, we cannot do anything about it. So, we had to wait it out with our friends in a very cramped airport due to the delays in flight. Well, in fairness, we were given a Jollibee chicken for breakfast but it mus've been old as it was stale. As my friend Vivian said, it was a lonely chicken!
Lo and behold! The flight was rescheduled again to around 8! Well to make a long story short, we finally took off at around 9!
Bacolod was lovely!!!! The food is spectacular! The first stop we did was eat at the manukan place at the famous Aida's! It was heavenly. I never tasted chicken as good as that one. It was tender and juicy! I had pecho (I could not have legs, my favorite, because I am o longer allowed to eat) and my favorite baticolon (gizzard) which they don't sell here in Manila anymore. Of course, I bathed my rice with chicken oil, something they don't have in chicken inasals in Manila anymore.
Next thing we did was to tour the city, We went to San Sebastian church, then as one of the recommendations of my Bacolod based friend, Bugsy, we took a cab and went to the Art District. It was very impressive. Too bad, I was enjoying my chitchat with one of the tour guides that I forgot to give her a tip! What was I thinking?? The next stop was at the Fiesta Market, again as recommended, we had lumpiang sariwa and empanada! Next stop was the Negros Museum. We were especially impressed by a copper wire artist, Ian D. Valladarez. He made sculptures using a continuous copper wire. With good fortune, we will meet him in person and in action two days after.
We were told that there was a good batchoy place called Super Batchoy and so we decided to check it out for dinner. To our dismay, no local, not even the police knew where it is. We walked endlessly, with Catherine even using her waze, but to no avail. We ended up eatting at Gina's, a seafood restaurant which did not fail our gastronomic appetites. The funniest thing was that on our way back to the hotel, I just tried to ask the driver if he knew where the batchoyans are and he said, without any hesitation that the best one is called Superbatchoy!!!! We shouted with glee as it was the exact place that we were looking for.
The next morning, our tour guide , Lemuel, which was recommended by a friend from the University to my wife, picked us up. The first stop was an hour and a half ride to Don Salvador Benedicto Northern Negros Park. We had lunch at the Kurvada restaurant which turned out to be owned by the uncle of one of my students, Kat! We were given a tour of the place and had a wonderful view of the Malatan-Og Falls.
We then embarked to go to the famous Canlaon mountain where we visited the Canlaon Balete Century tree It was magnanimous to say the least.
Next stop was have merienda at Tia's Garden Cafe. Our driver took us to Super Batchoy but unfortunately, it was already closed. It coses at 5:30 pm. So we had dinner at the manukan country again, this time trying Nena Rose. We cannot help comparing it to Aida's and while it is delicious as well, it lacked the juiciness and savory taste of Aida's in our opinion.
On our third day, we were picked up again by Lemuel. This time, our first stop was the Victoria's Milling Company but we were not allowed to go inside as it was milling time. We proceeded to Silay City and visited San Diego de Alcala Parish Church. From there, we were taken to the old houses in Silay then to the Balay Negrense Museum.
Next stop was at the oldest bakery in that side of the country, El Ideal bakery where we bought some goodies for pasalubong. We then went to Laktawan View Resort. We were supposed to have lunch at the Ilaya Highland Resort but found it too expensive for our taste. It turned out to be a fortunate decision as we decided to try the best cansi ever, Sharyn's Cansi House. Again, it did not disappoint us! It was a wonderful experience as we sipped the delicious broth and the succulent meat and collagen brought about by the bone marrow! (I know, it was sinful especially for me but I allowed myself to cheat this time).
Being Lasallians, we all had to see La Salle University in Bacolod. Had a few shots of the facade and were on our way to the best photo ops in our entire Bacolod trip at the Ruins!
Bacolod as the City of Smiles is one place I would not mind visiting again. Thanks to our good friend Agnes, who gavve us the idea to tour the city. If only for the food, Bacolod is worthy to be toured more than once. Well, I guess it is also because I had wonderful company that the city is made more wonderful than it aready is.










































is.

No comments: