Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Picnic


Several months ago, I was contacted by my friend. I was surprised by his call because we hardly communicated since he left the school (used to teach at the same school) where I am. Even more surprising is that the call was not the usual hi, how are you, let's meet up for a beer or two.  This time was different because he informed me that his wife wants to commission me for a painting.  That would have been just fine as I could always use the extra dough.  I asked him to show his wife what kind of stuff I do so that she would have an idea what she's going to get should the plans push through.  

Several minutes, I suppose right after the wife has seen my works, he contacted me again to tell me that they liked what they saw.  Now, I was getting excited.  I asked him how big the painting would be.  Now, that was the real surprise.  He said about 60" X 144"! I was kind of shock.  "Hey, that is quite big!"  THen he goes, "I know. My wife's worry now is if she can afford you."  So, I gave him a rough estimate and offered to see the wall first to get the right dimensions.  Of course, at this time, I was already praying that the project would go through.  

About a few weeks thereafter, my friend came to see me in school.  He asked if I could go with him that following Saturday.  I said yes.  And so, we went to his house and I made some measurements and closed the deal.  

Since I don't have a studio where I can work on a huge piece like this one, I asked if they would be willing for a triptych, a three-paneled painting. I was happy that they agreed.  Fast forward to three months, constantly purchasing more oils,  and the painting is done.  

When I showed them the picture, my friend said the wife liked it but would like to know my thought process while I was doing the pieces.  Well, nothing much.  I just kept in mind that they wanted it green, mind the composition, have several families,  and always, always check the color harmony.   Voila! here it is:



      "The Picnic"
Oil on Canvas
 4' X 11'
owner:  Mr. and Mrs. Jay Sabat

1 comment:

DLSMIZEL said...

looks amazing. congrats pa