Sunday, October 05, 2008

1000 views of "Girl Singing"

How many ways can a poem be viewed? A lot, that's what! Just as any other art form, a poem can mean a lot of things to different people. Interestingly, just right after I have done the translation of Dylan Thomas' poem, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Goodnight", an online friend, the associate editor of Our Own Voice,Aileen Ibardaloza, wrote me asking if I would be interested to join a translation of Filam poet Eileen Tabios' The Secret Life of an Angel after Jose Garcia Villa's poem "Girl Singing".

I could not pass on this one. I knew this could be a good challenge. Neither Eileen nor Jose Villa are unknown to me. I even urged my poet friend, Arlene, to purchase the book The Anchored Angel which is a collection of poems by the late poet and was edited by Ms. Tabios. Arlene gave it to me as a gift during one of my visits to Canada.

Anyway, John had the idea of making a project of coming up with a thousand views of "Girl Singing" and in Aileen's email, there were already about 30 poets and visual artists around the world who have participated. I guess I am number 31 as I jumped immediately at the opportunity. Since there was no translation done in Filipino yet, I tried doing a direct translation into our native tongue. This was very helpful as I began to understand the poem better. Next, I experimented on a concrete poem. Please take a look at my attempts. You can find them here and the concrete poem here. Maybe you'd like to give it a try as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rolly, your tagalog and concrete poems are amazing!

sanjit said...

ang ganda po ng inyong blog, mga tula... taga pasig din po ako!

rolly said...

aileen Thank you for inviting me to join and thanks for the nice words.

sanjit salamat. Actually, meron akong isang blog kung saan ko inilalagak ang aking mga tula na pinagpa practisan. Saan ka sa Pasig? Baka magkapit bahay tayo hehe

sanjit said...

dito lang kami sa pinagbuhatan :)