Saturday, November 24, 2007

Con Brio






The family just got back from the Philamlife Auditorium where my son, Mickey, played violin in the DLSU chamber ensemble's concert entitled "Con Brio" under the baton of Maestro German M. de Ramos, Jr. The orchestra played a solid array of tunes from classical to the more contemporary pieces. This is the second year my son has been playing for the group and we have seen all the major concerts they have had so far and I can say they are getting better and better.

The concert started with a prayer sang beautifully by Ms. Reynabel Becquero and accopanied on the piano by Ms. Chenie Chua. This was followed by the Pambansang Awit and the DLSU Alma Mater.

A guitar performance by Ms. Milette Zamora followed immediately where she played Gaspar Sanz' "Suite EspaƱola". Thereafter, the conductor led the orchestra in playing their repertoire as follows:

"Zarathustra" by R. Strauss
"Barber of Seville Overture" by A. Rossini
"Suites - Trepak, Mirlitons, Valse de Fleurs" by P. Tchaikovsky
"Nimrod" by Edward Elgar
"Kay Ganda ng Ating Musika" by Ryan Cayabyab as arranged by German de Ramos, Jr.

After a 10-minute intermission, the group played a medley of Andrew Lloyd Weber's "Phantom of the Opera" arranged by Calvin Cluster; G. Bizet's "Toreador" and John Williams Symphonic Marches as transcribed by German de Ramos, Jr.

The audience was so pleased that they requested for more to which the players gladly acceded to and played a Christmas medley.

It must've been prophetic of me but even before we got married, I already told my wife that I am going to have a son who will play the violin. I did not know where that came from but I said that with sureness albeit the fact that my favorite instrument is the cello and I play the guitar (so I guess I never influenced him). When my first born turned out to be a girl, I thought I was a little off the mark. But then, my first born did not get a liking for the violin. She played the piano for a time but did not push it through and stopped right after her first recital.

When Mickey was in Grade three, he told me he wanted to learn to play the instrument. While it did not come as a surprise as we never discussed anything to that effect (I am not one to dictate on my children) and so I gave him the go signal. A few months and he was asking me to buy him his own violin as he was just borrowing the violin provided by the school. I did not accede immediately thinking it would be a lot of money wasted if he suddenly lost interest with the novelty of playing a musical instrument. But then the interest persisted prompting me to buy him a 1/4 size violin. He complained that it was too small and did not sound good. So, when we heard news that my niece was coming home from the States, we thought she could buy one for Mickey and she did!

How I wish you were there with us and shared a night of wonderful music. I'm only too glad that his best friends from high school went out of their way to watch. And so did his "ninang" Marissa and her family who have been part of the family eversince that they have seen him grow.

And so tonight, there he was, in complete regalia in his tuxedo, seated in front, unconsciously fulfilling his father's dream of becoming a musician. The saying that the son is the perfection of the father must be true.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulation Papa for all the support and love, but more to my son Mickey. i'm so proud that i'm a mother and of course a wife to two beautiful people God jas given me.
love you, mama

Anonymous said...

buti na lang at nagustuhan niyo yung concert. ito yung pinaka maganda sa ngayon.

dapat lang na pasiyahin ko kayo dahil pinapasaya niyo rin ako. thanks ulit sa lahat ng suporta niyo.

Anonymous said...

congratulations to the proud father. fathers are always proud fathers. and true, our children is the perfection we desire to be.

can imagine the happiness you all felt seeing Mickey play the violin. your heart must be pumping with excitement that time. :-D

Gilbert Yap Tan said...

Awwww, Rolly! I wished I had a father like you who is vocal about his appreciation for his son's achievements... My father was a silent supporter though, I remembered him asking me what I wanted as a prize for being in the honor's list. I told him I wanted to see Fiddler on the Roof. He treated me to the movie and promptly went to sleep as soon as the movie started; his snores punctuated every song in the film soundtrack! But I loved him nonetheless for it. :)

rolly said...

mama What he is a product of what we wanted him to be... well sort of. To be his own man.

mickey Just do the best in everything you do. Congrats on a wonderful show

bingskee Yes,I am a proud father not because of anything but because my son is trying to fulfill his dream and doing what he wants best.

gilbert LOL! That was also what my father did when I asked him to take me to a Beatles movie - Help ata yun.

ipanema said...

now that is one happy moment! i know you are proud as he is of you.

Thanks for sharing. That's a great repertoire!

rolly said...

ipanema Indeed it was. And they played them well, too. Thanks

batjay said...

bossing, congratulations sa achievement ng anak mo. magaling ka talagang magpalaki.

i am sure you are very proud.

suwerte rin ng mga anak mo at tatay ka nila.

rolly said...

batjay Swerte rin ako at sila anak ko. hehe

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Mickey! I have seen you play and I know you'll get far with your talent. More power to you!

Ang galing magpalaki ni Tito Rolly and Tita Nitz!

rolly said...

Doc Emer Like any other parent, hit or miss pa rin kaming mag-asawa in rearing our children.

I can safely say na malayung-malayo na sa narinig mo ang tugtog ni mickey ngayon. Although, hindi pa siya talaga nagpa-practice ng pang-solo :-)

tintin said...

You must be so so proud. What a talented boy! Or young man now I should say.

rolly said...

tintin Yes, but then, I have always been proud of my children. And yes, he is now a man. HOw time flies. You would be surprised to wake up one day and realize your baby has suddenly grown up. Kaya, take all the time in the world to be with your baby as I'm sure you do.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a proud moment it must have been for you and your wife. Yes, we shouldn't dictate, but we do hope. I wish I could see your son play one of these days. Malay natin, mag-tour sila?