Saturday, September 15, 2007

Two fires!!

Last night, on our way home from school, I was surprised to find fire engine trucks blocking the way on my turn at the corner. I immediatedly asked a fireman where the fire was and to my horror, he said it was in our subdivision. My hair really rose up when he added it was near the basketball court. If that was the case, then my house might have been gutted down, too!

Nowhere to go, I parked the car by the sidewalk and ran towards home. To my relief, the fireman was wrong. The fire was by the gate and it was all over. The firemen were already rolling down the hoses, the streets were flooded and I can smell the air of damp burnt wood and ash. I proceeded to our house to see how my 84 year old mother-in-law and the maid were doing. The maid was ironing the clothes while the old matriarch was watching tv. Good! I was about to text my wife to tell her of the incident but decided not to for it might just cause her some anxiety.

This reminds me, just a few days ago, another kind of fire was blazing in the news room. Erap's conviction of plunder was all over the airwaves. I heard Jinggoy crying foul, as to be expected, saying that the Sandiganbayan was a kangaroo court anyway and that it was "created" to convict his father. This led me to thinking, if he and the Erap camp had been thinking this all along, why did they even participate in the proceedings? I recall Ninoy Aquino during the time of Marcos being incarcerated and brought before a court martial to be heard for acts of treason, crying he did not recognize the court and will not participate in any of its proceedings. I think that was what Erap should have done. By participating with the proceedings, he implied that he was willing to abide by whatever decision the court shall come up with. That is the risk of putting your plight before a court of law, I guess. Now that the court has given its decision, I think it is too late in the day to say that it was a kangaroo court after all.

13 comments:

ipanema said...

ay, the security guard could have caused someone unnecessary tension. hmmm.

lol..anyway, that's where we see the big difference between Estrada and Marcos. The latter has brains. lol.

All of a sudden I remember the Erap jokes once again. :)

rolly said...

ipanema Sure did! Well, let's just say they're on opposite sides of a very very long pole. :-)

Erap jokes are becoming to be classics.

cathy said...

it lookwd like, they did not expect the verdict. his defense lawyers must have given him false hope.

rolly said...

Cathy They may or may not have expected the decision. I do not know. Maybe they expected a conviction but how the judges would have arrived at it was unexpected. Or, that they were expecting a lesser sentence... Who knows, huh?

Anonymous said...

well, as they say, tito rolly, one cannot have his cake and eat it too.
In law, we call it estoppel. Once you submit yourself to the jurisdiction of the court, well, you are estopped or prevented from questioning its jurisdiction.

I'd like to invite you to check out a post i made on the verdict.

rolly said...

siu I have been trying to access the site but its taking a long time to load and I can only do that during breaktime. Hopefully, when I get home later, I can get to read. I'm sure it will be an interesting post.

Unknown said...

Happy to hear about the mistake - I experienced fire once and it was horrible.

About Erap - knowing him and his son, I expected him to say that: if the verdict's against him, say that it was a kangaroo court ... so you are right, why did he participate? Parang mga bata - pagnanalo, the game is good, everything's fair and square pero pagtalo, iiyak ng "dayaaaaaa!". Hay naku, should we really be surprised?

I am disappointed that Jinggoy wasn't convicted, too.

rolly said...

bugsy What is even funnier is the news that Erap is now willing to accept an offer of pardon by the president if ever it will be given provided that...

nge, siya pa ang nagbibigay ng kondisyon. Ano ba yan

Rey A said...

What a relief your home was nowhere near the fire...the fireman you asked must have been sleeping all the while...clueless as to where the actual location of the fire.. I can relate to your (sinking) feeling when you said your hair rose up...stomach must have turned a bit too...I'm sure that was how Erap felt when the verdict was read...

rolly said...

ReyA I am not sure if it was a hair raising experience for Erap. He is using the affair to woo supporters, nagpapaawa baga.

Anonymous said...

Good thing we're done with him. I will agree to an amnesty or pardon after he has served some jail time and not that f!@#$*n love nest in Antipolo.

Who's next? Mike Arroyo?

batjay said...

hirap masunugan, bossing. buti na lang medyo malayo sa inyo.

rolly said...

jc Oo nga eh. For a convicted felon, I think having him stay in his own resthouse cannot be called incarceration, no?

batjay sinabi mo pa. Ang hirap atang mawalan ng matutulugan.