Monday, May 21, 2007

The test of time!

Ask anyone how long thirty years is and surely, they'll say it's a very long time. However, ask the same question to someone who has spent it wisely and undoubtedly, he/she will say it is quite short. I have spent twenty three years in the same school where I teach and believe me, it seems like it was just yesterday when I first stepped into its grounds. Sure, a lot of people have come and gone. Hundreds of students have graduated and yet, endless as they come, each one is unique that I will never tire of teaching. Twenty two years is not different from thirty, forty or even fifty years spent in a school setting. Each year poses a new challenge and as I put a conclusion on each challenge, I breathe openly and thank God I have survived.

Last Saturday, my wife received a plaque of appreciation for her thirty years of service. She also serves in the same university system I work in albeit in a different campus. She had served five presidents, worked in about four departments and had seen the whole campus grow. She had befriended a lot of people who still continues to be her friends. "Thirty years in service and yet it seems like a very short time," she said.

When she announced that she will be given a recognition in the Staff Awards, she requested that MIckey and I give an intermission number. I had other plans. Since my son had been playing with the symphony orchestra, I opted to surprise her by asking my son to request some of his friends to play with him instead. His friends acceded and one even arranged her favorite "Ang Tangi Kong Pag-ibig" piece for violin, viola and a clarinet. Suffice to say that my wife was ecstatic and felt very proud as she watched her son play like a pro.

As I went up the stage to pin her medal, I was proud that my wife has shown dedication to service which rings true to the way she has shown dedication to our marriage, our children and the entire household. It was like showing the world that we are a family to be trusted because we are always committed to our cause and every purpose or goal we set our minds to. I am very proud of my wife who, in spite of my eccentricities, has learned to put up with me, given me more than enough encouragement in every endeavor that I undertake. As the years progress, I have learned how dedicated she is with her mother, her children and more importantly, to me. As a lover, she is a hopeless romantic. Read this to see my point. You'll love the story. No medal or any award would have been sufficient accolade to this woman I love and will love for ever until kingdom come and beyond.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Tita Nitz! Behind every great woman is an equally great man (ikaw yun). Soulmates talaga kayong dalawa, Tito Rolly!

Gilbert Yap Tan said...

Congratulations Nitz! :-) and you're one lucky guy, Rolly!

ipanema said...

Congratulations to your wife! Now, that's a nice piece of article to be written for a loving wife. :)

auee said...

Congrats to tita Nitz, makiki-tita ako since tito kita
:-)

Wow 30 years. It must be grand to be appreciated in such a way & then have your kids perform. It must make all the "hirap & ginhawa" part of the marriage vows very much worth it.

rolly said...

My wife thanks you all. Alam nyo naman yun mahiyain like me.

Doc Emer I guess so. She's the yang to my yin... or baligtad ata.

gilbert Yes, I am.

Ipanema Thank you. She liked it a lot when she read it.

auee Yes, always. Thanks.

cathy said...

congrats titorolly. Thirty years. wow. Nandoon na pala siya noong nagturo ako ng Accounting sa Dela Salle, Taft.

Chet said...

Please convey my congratulations to Nitz! And please tell her I am looking forward to meeting her (and you, too!) during your trip to KL in June! What are your travel dates, please?

Anonymous said...

tito rolly,
congratulations to ate nitz! ang galing naman! kinikilig ako sa mga sinulat mo about her. it brings a smile to my face when i see people who love each other dearly like you you two do. may you continue to spread good cheers and positive energy to your lucky friends.

rolly said...

cathy She started in 1977 so yes, she was already there.

chet We, too are excited to finally meet you in person. The thing is we don't have any exact dates yet as our sponsor is too busy. I will let you know immediately as soon as I have the dates.

jop I'm glad this brought a smile to your face. I enjoy making people smile. :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your wife! You have every reason to be proud of her, and love her more!

Rolly, para yata akong nagising sa post mong ito. Come to think of it, I am always the one at the receiving end. My hubby surprises me, like last Sunday, he surprised me with the new cellphone I have been lusting for. But then I'm afraid, in our 26 years of marriage, I have not given him yet any significant gift..Sigh! I hope to come up with something special on Fathers' Day, though...

Congrats again!

Nick Ballesteros said...

congratulations to Tita Nitz! I read the guitar story as well. Very touching. I couldn't help but smile.

SamanthaTirthdas said...

Congrats to your wife Sir! Truly admirable!

rolly said...

rhodora I, too, had always been in the receiving end. Follow the link to this post and you'll see what I mean. I'm sure your hubby understands.

We've stopped giving gifts to one another as we focus more on the kids' education these days.

Watson Everytime I tell that story, I get goosebumps. That was one very special gift!

samantha Thanks. Pasukan na! Aral na uling mabuti as I know you will.

batjay said...

congratulations kay tita nitz bossing - 30 years. parang sandali nga lang yon pag enjoy ka sa trabaho mo. i know exactly what you're feeling.

rolly said...

batjay I'm sure you do.