Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Singing and drinking always go together

Had a drinking spree with three of my best friends last Friday. Well, sometimes, I do have to go out just to unwind. Well, not knowing where to go, we settled in one of those watering holes that carry videoke along the Rizal Sports Complex. I was just amazed we could carry on a conversation amid the songs (sometimes noise) people sang (or made).

Anyway, we, too, sang a few rounds and it was pretty decent. Afterall, one of us is really a singer. But there was this guy who really really knew how to sing. The power in his voice is just awesome. He was so good I figured he ought to be singing professionally. He sang from the most recent songs to standards. Even sang one of my mother's favorite songs. Then, he also sang a man and woman duet which he carried all alone by himself. He shifted from the male version to the female version using a very high falsetto.

What separates a singer from a mere hobbyist like me? Well, almost everyone can carry a tune. There are those who are really tone deaf and I just could not understand how they manage to even think about singing - and in public, at that. Well, the thing is you're all out to have a good time. But please, not at the expense of another person's ears hahaha.

So, okay, one can carry a tune, sing in the right key, knows when to start and when to end, knows and understand the lyrics of the song -understanding the lyrics helps because that gives you the right mood and emotion you put out in a song. But what really tells a neophyte from a real singer is tone. Tone is the quality of the voice. This is what we refer to as talent. When someone says you've got the talent for singing, that means you have a very good voice and, most importantly, you have a good tone. FYI, my friend, Batjay has a good singing voice. You can listen to his voice in songs he recorded in his blog. And he plays the guitar, too. What's even more interesting is we share the same kind of music. Do you have a good singing voice? Tell me about it.

17 comments:

batjay said...

what most people in the blogging world doesnt't know is that you also have a great singing voice and that you play the guitar exceptionally well. that's an understatement - you play the guitar like a pro. you have a style of playing that i really like.

i miss the singing. most americans (and singaporeans) don't like to sing and it's hard for them to understand how much our pinoy life revolves around music and singing.

i remember how i learned to sing - it was the nightly guitar playing and singing over gin bulag at our local tamabayan in novaliches. all of us sung and played the guitar every night.

i am sure this kind of communal singing is repeated again and again over all the tambayans of the philippines. no wonder pinoys have been exporting musicians all over the world.

Anonymous said...

I have been told that I sing really well after two or three beers. And after a jug or two, I even act like Elvish Preashl..ey..

Hey Rolly. We must get together for a drink one day, with or without the songs, thought it's better if we can sing together!

rolly said...

batjay I can't consider my singing voice great. I'm just an aficionado. The same thing with the guitar.

But if you say so, sige na nga. hehehe

"Our pinoy life revolves around singing" is an understatement. I have witnessed the communal singing in the tambayans all over the country. Minsan nga, when I went with my class on an assimilation trip, me nakita akong burol ng isang bata. There was a videoke at the wake!

Bayi Definitely. I have been looking forward to drinking with you. There will definitely be singing. :-)

kat said...

i'd love to hear you sing and play! i'm sure you have a wonderful singing voice and i'm sure kick-arse on the guitar!

i only wish i had a strong singing voice. i sing, but not well, plus i'm shy! not a good combination. even when we play gigs, i have to force myself to look at the crowd! hahah...

cbs said...

yeyy, sali ako sa kantahan. ako magse-second voice sa "the boxer"!

Dr. Emer said...

BatJay, Bayi, and you singing and drinking? Wow! Can I join, too? =)

ipanema said...

I wish I had. I'm really jealous with those people who can sing. I simply don't have the talent. :(

Ate Sienna said...

hay naku, unkel.. ako ata ang taong hindi makakanta ng may mic. marunong ako ng tono, alam ko kung kelan papasok sa kanta, pero bakit walang lumalabas na tunog sa bibig ko??? ano ba kulang ko???

mabuti pa nga kayo ni jay talaga. at alam mo bang si ateng jet eh napakaganda rin ng boses???

Unknown said...

When I was in a high school, my friends and I had an all-girls group that sang (plus I played the guitar) in school functions, a few weddings and even in contests (we won once!). We broke up when we graduated. In college, my friends and I loved to gather and sing (remember Jingle, the songbook ... we'd always have copies with us). My singing-and-playing days stopped when I started working. Too busy. Sayang. I've forgotten all the chords, my fingers are rusty and when I sing, I feel like a frog croaking. I've stopped completely. I'd rather much listen these days than sing and play my guitar. :(

Anonymous said...

Dr Emer

The more the merrier. :) I am sure Rolly agrees. Not just beer. Some Merlot too!

Unknown said...

Kat I don't have a strong singing voice. I'm just an aficionado who can sometimes sing in tune. My voice had been ruined by too much smoking through the years.

but I wish we can jam sometime. That is, if you know some really old stuff.

cbs Mahilig ka pala sa Simon and Garfunkel ha. Sige, tandaan ko yan.

Doc Emer Of course. That time will come. I hope soon!

ipanema It's all in the attitude. :-)

Ate Sienna Wag kang mag-alala. Itatago ko yung mic. HIndi mo malalaman. hehe

Bugsy Jingle! Oh yes. We all learned from that mag, didn't we? From there, we learned to listen to every note and learned to figure out chords.

Mas scientific na ngayon. You can get tabs from the internet of practically any song. If you know how to read notes, the better.

bayi Of course. Let's make that soon, okay?

marie said...

I'm a trying hard singer. I love to sing but the songs and tunes doesn't love me, huhuhu.

Rey A said...

Do I have a singing voice? Tito R I joined our office choir in the Phil so nobody can hear my voice :)

rolly said...

Marie konting practice lang ang kailangan. As long as marunong ka ng correct timing, at hindi ka tone deaf, okay lang yan.

joyce said...

hi sir!
this entry made me feel like traipsing down memory lane, remembering the zobel teacher concerts, the times we almost pissed off Ms. Panaligan...not to mention those days when you'd bring a guitar to our area and strum away a song or two...i'd sing with you sometimes, donna quimpo sang well...haaaaay nakakaiyak, miss na miss ko yon.

boses ko? mediocre, i can carry a tune, you know that :) talent? sa iba ang talent ko eh! hehehehe

rolly said...

Joyce those were the days when we used to have spare time, no? Sayang, wala na yun ngayon.

Sana pag-uwi mo, nood ulit tayo ng concert kung sino mang magaling me palabas. I remember enjoying Tuck and patti's concert with you.

Anonymous said...

The next Blogkadahan gimmick shouldn't be in Pot and Noodle anymore but in IO or Red Box for videoke.