Friday, November 03, 2006

I bid you Adieu!

We were having dinner when my wife received a text message from our friend which made her practically shout.
"Oh no! Bro. Rafe passed away!" she said. That was a terrible news to hear. My wife and I knew him well. We both have worked for Bro. Rafe when he was still President of DLSU. My wife had known him personally even before that. I had worked closely with him while I was still the coordinator of the Art Department. We went to workshops and outings together and he is the epitome of cool. As an administrator, he was not just al brains but balanced everything with an accepting heart. I admired his resolve and his mature ways to decide things - firmly but with compassion.

A very affable man, one would not hesitate to approach him even if he held the highest post in the university then. He was a well-mannered man with a well-modulated baritone voice that gave out a very calming effect. His words were well calculated and spoken clearly that one never missed what he wanted to say. When he spoke, one listened. We only have high praises for this man who had dedicated his life to teaching. He will be a big loss to the De La Salle community.

Goodbye, Bro. Rafe! Thanks for everything you have shared with us.

9 comments:

joyce said...

i never got to meet him in person, but his name resounds like clanging cymbals within the community b/c of his greatness. compassionate...totoo yan. wala yatang lasalista na di marunong umunawa sa kapuwa...pero yung maunawain daw, parang mabilis kunin ni Lord?

Anonymous said...

he was a great guy. he used to be our school principal in la salle lipa.

rolly said...

joyce Sayang. He was a very good leader.

Mabilis bang kunin ni Lord ang maunawain? Ano ibig sabihin non? Di ko maunawaan e.

Datupanot I think the people of Lipa loves him very much. He's done a lot of wonderful things there. I have always gone there, even stayed in their hotel for several days.

yes, he was a great guy!

Vicky said...

He sounds like a great role-model- you are lucky to have associated with him and in death we do celebrate their life. sorry that you lost a great colleague.

Anonymous said...

He must have been truly a great person to have commanded such respect from you and your wife. I am sorry for your loss and those who will similarly feel the loss of a dedicated person.

Anonymous said...

I was in La Salle-Bacolod once for a symposium where I saw Bro. Donato and though I don't know him personally, I know his death is a great loss to La Salle.

Anonymous said...

ka rolly,

i was a student in la salle lipa in from 67 -71 ( geez i'm dating myself). he replaced bro frederick (can i say jerk?) as principal.
another loss to la salle lipa this year is my friend and fraternity brother pete cootauco.

thanks,

dp

rolly said...

vicky He was the perfect role model. We will surely miss his wisdom but much more, his friendship. Thanks.

Bayi Thank you. Many will miss this gentle man.

Bugsy He was President of LS Bacolod for sometime. That was before I got to know him.

datupanot Ahaa! You're older than I am. Yipee!!!

Well, when was the last time you've been to LS Lipa? You will be awed by the progress it has undergone.

Anonymous said...

ka rolly,

ala eh, matagal na akong hindi nakakauwi. the last time i was in lipa was back when it was still all boys' highschool.

thanks,
dp