Sunday, March 26, 2006

Two done, two to go!


four in a row Posted by Picasa


Working in the same school where my kids are enrolled, i always believed that they are not growing up like any other normal kid. I've always wondered what it would have been like had my father been in school with me, always breathing on my back.

There are advantages and disadvantages, of course. One of the advantages is that they would never fear of losing their transportation fare. I always did when I was growing up. i would lose track of my expenditures and before I knew it, had to walk my way home. That was when I was in elementary school. During my high school days, I couldn't do that anymore as the school I was going to was very far from home. So, I learned to either borrow from classmates or take a cab and have my mother pay for it.

The disadvantage I can think of is that they do not learn how to be on their own. With me around, I'm sure they are cautious of the things they do in school as I will surely know what goes on everytime. Well, in fairness to myself, I knew this was the case and always tried to be out of their way. They always eat alone with their classmates, for example. I let them experience school on their own, in their own time. Should they need me, they know where to find me.


the proud parents with graduate boy Posted by Picasa


white toga! a picture of innocence? Posted by Picasa


It's now official! My son, Mickey has finally graduated from high school. This means he is practically out of my wings. Being with him everyday for thirteen years can never be a long time. As the old cliche goes: It's just like yesterday! when he first came with me to school. I remember his first day when I almost panicked because he was nowhere to be found, only to be relieved that he was up a tree. Or the time when I was furious during his Grade 7 days because his teacher complained that he was misbehaving in class.

He has matured a lot since then. Never received any violation reports. I always want to believe that he has always been a gentleman to his female friends just like we tell him to.

I have no doubts that he will be fine like his older sister. He is very independent. He knows how to commute and find his way using very minimal instructions. he even goes to the doctor alone armed only with his HMO card, joins art contests, without our knowledge, just for the experience of joining one. Decided to try to take a scholarship test of his chosen career (help us pray for this one, please) on his own. He'll do fine.

dinner time with lola Posted by Picasa


Aside from the dinner treat we gave the family in a restaurant, my wife and I plan to give him a gift later, I do not have one that comes from me alone. However, here's a poem I wrote several months ago which I am dedicating to him on his graduation day. (That is the least a man of insufficient monetary endowments can do, hehe)

---------------------

Ode to Endings (or should it be "beginnings"?)

Never have I dreamt that it would stop
but even the deepest well runs dry
reams of bond paper are eventually used up
the longest journey ends with the last step.

Infinite numbers could not be counted
try hard if you must… end I know not where
but end it will, no matter what.
Who can count after a trillion

Or even a hundred million?

Strongest despots end their rule
either by them or for them;
whether a pound of flesh
or a trickle of blood have been spared--
if the dictatorship ends
out of a gnawing conscience
it, too, shall stop.

Even God’s emissary, the Pope dies.
Everything shall cease--
just like your breaking away
from what my house can offer,
leaving behind a limitless
protection that I so willingly give.

Yes, the time has come
for you to open your wings:
feel the gale and glide to where it will take you
open your eyes wide like I told you

crossing the street is not as easy as it looks.
There are roads without stoplights
even stoplights are being ignored..
Soon, my work is finally done
there’s nothing left to do
but watch you from afar.

rolly


PS.

My apologies to the two commenters on this poem, Transience and Jet for failing to respond to your gracious, and kind words. I never got to see the messages as I thought nobody reads my poetry blog much more leave a comment anyway. Thank you very much. It has always been an honor receiving feedback from writers I admire very much.

30 comments:

Rey A said...

Tito Rolly, kumusta na? Kongrats on your latest feat and my best wishes to your son. I'm sure he'll do better than good as long as he doesn't emulate somebody who gets into a fight after a night's session :)...beginning of another chapter for both of you. The book of life has no ending otherwise eternity loses it's meaning.

rolly said...

rey a Mabuti naman. Thanks on the best wishes. Yes, I hope he doesn't learn how to party that hard! And to set the record straight, it was not I who gets into a fight, it has always been the guys on the other table. hahaha

Ann said...

Congratulations to your son and to the parents as well. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

You are beaming with pride, rolly! And you have every right to be. Congratulations! What does Mickey want to do after this?

rolly said...

Ann Thanks. Congratulations, too.

Bayi He plans to take up multi-media. Well, it's always up to him what he wants.

batjay said...

congratulations bossing. ang layo na ng narating ng mga anak mo.

kung ako ang gawan ng tatay ko ng tula, siguro maiiyak ako sa tuwa.

galing mo sir.

rolly said...

Batjay Mas malayo pa ang pangarap ko para sa kanila sana e. I want them to soar to great heights. But then, what parent wouldn't? Sana nga umasenso sila ng husto. Mas asensado kesa sa tatay nila. hehehe

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

what a proud parent! congratulations and all the best for your son. my daughter, too, will be graduating soon (mar 31).
Everything shall cease--
just like your breaking away
from what my house can offer,
leaving behind a limitless
protection that I so willingly give.


this is what hurts me most but must accept (",)

Anonymous said...

uy tito rolly, congratulations to your son and s'yempre to you too. that's always exciting when our kids reach milestones.

rolly said...

bing They grow so fast, don't they? Congratulations to you and your daughter as well.

stef Definitely! Thanks.

darlene said...

Wow! another milestone! Congratulations proud father!

Romeo Moran said...

sir, your son has been a great concert master to us this year. congrats to him.

now if only i could graduate here next year.

Rey A said...

Tito Rolly, salamat sa pag bisita mo. Sigurado ka bang mga anak mo yung nasa litrato? :) Mga guwapo at guwapita. Anyway, at least I know of four young adults that will not be a problem to our already problematic country because of their proper upbringing. Salamat sa pagmamalasakit ng kanilang mga magulang. Congrats again and cheers.

Anonymous said...

Daddy Rolly! salamat sa pag punta niyo sa grad ko! salamat din sa pagkain at lalu na sa poem!

aba... himalang hindi mo ako pinahiya ngayon ah.

JMom said...

Congratulations to Mickey! and of course to the proud family too :) it's always a group effort.

and ehm.... I think you're slacking off on your parenting, Rolly. Mickey said hindi mo siya pinahiya this time. Hey, that's our job!!! who else can embarass you better than your parents :-D lol!

Anonymous said...

Knowing you two, I somehow doubt you'll need to watch Mickey from afar. You are much too close for that.

Someday I'll be writing such a graduation poem. But not to my son, to my grandson. So will you.

You'll live long enough to have a grandson and write more poems to him. :-)
Love,Arlene

rolly said...

Darlene Thanks! Yes, it's another milestone and there's more to come.

pepseeh Mabuti naman. What do you mean? You're not transferring, are you?

rey a Oo, sigurado ako. Kita mo bang kamukhang kamukha ko sila lahat? Thanks.

Mickey Marami ka pang pagdadaanan. And remember, it can be a bumpy ride. Take care.

Teka nga muna. Bakit ba iniisip nyo parating magkakapatid na pinapahiya ko kayo dito? Di naman ah. I'm proud of you, son.

JMom Thanks. Tataka nga ako kung bakit nila iniisip na pinapahiya ko sila e. hahe

Arlene Nice to see you here. I'm sure you will make a great poem for your grandchildren. And that will be a treasure to keep. Thanks for the visit.

Romeo Moran said...

unfortunately sir, we are. to greener pastures. i hate the idea myself, but hey, it's not up to me.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to your dear Mickey!!!

Anonymous said...

Daddy Rolly Nakakahiya lang kasi pa minsan pag nilalagay mo yung mga mali namin dito e. Nakakahiya lang pa minsan pero natatawa na rin kami pag nababasa namin. Sa bagay, nababawi naman e. hehehehe. Thanks dad.

Anonymous said...

congrats to all the good things that has been pouring your way rolly! and that's a nice family pic,you have a big family pala and the girls are so cute. here in Japan, di pwedeng nandon anak ng teacher sa the same school but that only applies in public schools.

i also like your post about friendship..pwede ba kong mag apply as a female friend? :)

rolly said...

pepseeh So, you're leaving the country. Well, if it's for greener pastures, I can't blame your parents. We all want to be in greener pastures. Good luck!

Luchie Thanks

Mickey I only write things that I think has a lesson to be learned not to make fun of you guys. Although, minsan kasi, nakakatawa talaga e. Share ko lang dito. hehe

sachiko Thank you very much. Yes, apat anak ko.

Why, aren't you my friend yet? Of course you are.

Anonymous said...

O cge ok lang yun! Masarap din basahin yung mga kalokohang nakalimutan ko e. ehehehehe

mag mula ngayon walang magagalit sa pag nag post ng kung anu-ano ha. >:)

joyce said...

hi proud daddy!
i'm really happy that mickey has finally gone up the stage...time really flies so fast! last year, medyo nagmumuni muni pa siya sa klase ko...ngayon, sus! congratulations, sir!
may isa pang ibig sabihin ito...matanda na rin ako...

ajay said...

Congrats to you and your wifey Tito for raising such a fine soon. Mas matangkad pa sya sa iyo a, mas gawpo rin ba?? hehe. am sure he'll take after you in terms of talent too. Regards:)

Anonymous said...

Tito Rolly, congratulations to you and your wife ... and of course to Mickey. Wow, if I - who is not a biological parent - can feel so proud whenever my students graduate, I know you must feel really happy about this achievement - yours and your son's. I felt nostalgic when I read your poem ... it brought back memories of my HS graduation and somehow, it also reminded me of my favorite song for my students - R. Kelly's "I believe I can Fly."

Dr. Emer said...

Congratulations to your carbon copy Mickey, Tito Rols. He's now going to go places what with the inborn talent you and Tita Nitz have given him. Godspeed, Mickey! =)

rolly said...

joyce oo nga e. we'll see where his stars will lead him. Thanks.

ajay pareho lang yata kami ng height. Ang mas matangkad sakin e yung bunso. Ang lalakas ba namang kumain ng mga yan e. Mas pogi sakin? hmmmm, di yata. bwahahahaa

bugsybee I don't want my children to just fly sana. I want them to soar but then, its all up to them. I only want them to be happy. Just as I am. Simple living has its benefits.

Doc Emer Thanks. see you later.

Anonymous said...

Well, Tito Rolly, fly or soar ... you are the wind beneath their wings. Again congratulations and Godspeed.

E. S. de Montemayor said...

hi tito rolly, bilis lang ng panahon ano? i hope & pray your kids will live with you kahit may trabaho na sila...

wish you the best in life!