Tuesday, January 03, 2006

What was 2005 like?

I have stopped making new year resolutions a long time ago. I don't want to fool myself in believing I am that strong-willed or that I need to wait for a new year just to change my ways. So, instead, I reminisce on the past year and be happy with what I have accomplished and set out new goals for myself the following year.

Let's see, what have I accomplished?

In terms of work, this is my second year in my new post in school and I am still learning the ropes. i have made a few blunders but these are all over. Yes, I have committed mistakes although I don't think they were major ones. Well, maybe one or two but that's more personal than work related, really. I believe I could have done better. At any rate, be they minor ones or not, these errors will be major ones, a disgrace, if I commit them again. That will be unacceptable.

Blogging - this blog is more than a year old and I have made friends, good ones as a matter of fact, along the way. Never have I imagined that I would gain good friends via this medium.

Likewise, I have earned new friends in school. Parents, co-teachers and students as well. Hopefully, I have not earned any enemies. Of course, a guy like me who does not know when to stop talking or cease from expressing an opinion openly -- what do you expect?

Artistically, I have sold a few paintings and that's always a good thing. I have learned to play a few kundiman songs in the guitar, another challenging feat as I don't know how to sight read notes, so I had to memorize them. I have gotten a few poems on print, too. One is in a chapbook which is a poem about my mother who is suffering from alzheimer's entitled A stranger in her own house for pinoy poets which I joined this year. Another one which is in tagalog, Malapot na tubig has seen print in Our Own Voice an online literary mag by notable Filipino writers like Aileen Ibardaloza and fellow pinoy poet member
Edgar Bacong. Of course, three of my poems were exhibited in this year's exhibition for poetry month in our online university sometime in April and can be viewed here. This is my second time to be included there.

Family - has never been stronger. Me and the wife still treat each other as friends - friends in love with each other for the past twenty years and the romance continues. The kids are all grown up now and my eldest son, Mickey, is graduating high school this year. Kraiganne's efforts have paid off as she has gotten good grades. keshia and Coby, while managing to pass will have to be more serious with their studies, though.

No major tasks but what the heck? What more can I ask for? 2005 has really been a good year.

12 comments:

bing said...

it is a good year despite the challenges.. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

poppycock said...

yes, sounds like a great year to me.
and here's to an even greater year for you tito rols .... happy new year!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link to your poems, may I link you up to my poetry pages? Aileen Ibardolaza and I correspond through email from time to time, I know OOV but never had the guts to submit...pang blog ko lang yata ang mga poems ko eh.

It's going to be a good year Tito Rolly, for all of us and for PTN. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

rolly said...

bing Oo nga. Actually, baka nga it is the challenges that made it a very interesting year.

mayamaya I hope you're right. Sabagay, we live iin interesting times, hehe.

teacher sol Yes, let's link up our poetry pages. That'd be great!

Anonymous said...

My congratulations to you. Saludo ako sa yo.

Malayo na ang narating mo. Indeed, "2005 has really been a good year".

Anonymous said...

And I'm glad to have gotetn to know you in 2005, Tito R! :)

rolly said...

Myepinoy Thnak you.

Toni Yes, one of the pleasures of 2005 was getting to know you.

vonjobi said...

being positive helps a lot. i just keep reminding myself that it will all work out in the end. happy new year!

rolly said...

vnjobi You know what? they always do. :-)

batjay said...

sarap ba ng 2005 bossing? sana mas maganda para sa pamilya mo ang 2006. ok ka naman magdala sir ng buhay. kaya nga idol kita.

rolly said...

Batjay Sana nga maganda dating nitong taon na to sating lahat. Saya!

joyce said...

Sir, 2005 was a good year =) we all learned from it. A prosperous new year to you and your loved ones. I'm honored to have been a part of Mikey's life...and yours too =)