Monday, February 04, 2008

I gotta do it right!

As I have mentioned in my previous post, I am a new father again. Well,it seems like it only that the new comer is a puppy. The only thing is that this is the first time we are owning a pet dog, hence, we are just being introduced to a new world of raising a puppy just as the world is being introduced to it. ONe of the problems we now encounter is that Yogi has not yet acquired biting inhibition. He bites when he is excited as puppies do, as I learned from my research. This puppy has been separated early from its mom that it has not been socialized with its own litter and other dogs. You see, puppies do not have hands like us humans (duh) so what it does is to use its mouth. Biting inhibition is taught by the mother and siblings. When the puppy's bite gets strong,probably while sucking on the mother's teat, the mother gets angry, growls or leaves. The same thing with other dogs during playing time. This is how the puppy learns to control its bite. After a series of reading various materials on dog training, I think I've got it right. He no longer does that to me. But still does it with my daughters.

I think I have established with him that I am the alpha dog. He can now follow my commands - that is nobody is there with me. I guess he's still too young for training. But I can already make him sit when I tell him to. Patience is what I need and he'll get it in due time. Who wouldn've thought I will be a father again! :-)

8 comments:

ting-aling said...

One of the easiest to teach a dog is the "shake a paw". Dogs will know how to offer their front paws for shaking. I ask my dog for a right paw shake and then followed by the other paw when you say "other paw" and he will gladly do it. Give him treats Tito Rolly.

Dr. Emer said...

I am impressed you are fast becoming a dog whisperer like Cesar Milan. The most common fault of those who have pets is that they humanize their animals. Hindi naman dapat ganun. Once an animal, always an animal. The pet dog needs a leader, an "alpha male leader" like you said. The owner should be the one who leads and not the other way around. This is the most common mistake, I think. Pero, bow pa din ako sa pag-accept mo ng newest responsibility mo. Nowadays, Tito Rolly is not only a zesty labor union leader but a potential savvy dog whisperer. Kudos!

rolly said...

ting Okay, I will include that in my training itinerary. haha, we haven't gone past the "come" and "stay" stage.

Doc Emer Dog whisperer? MAlayo pa. I am just learning how to teach him, trial and error pa rin.

batjay said...

baka rin tinutubuan ng ngipin ang tuta mo bossing. nung nasa teething stage si datu, lahat ng kasangkapan sa bahay ay kinakagat niya. sa inis ko nga minsan dahil sa sirang kasangkapan, muntik ko na siyang kagatin.

pero may dominance training nga na kailangan niyang matutunan. tama si doc emer, subukan mo yung dog psychology ni milan, baka sakaling umubra. pag spoiled kasi aso, maraming problema.

ipanema said...

wow, you are really enjoying and taking your new role seriously. parang nakikita ko na. if you will have grandchildren in the future, siguro very doting grandfather kayo. :)

Anonymous said...

looks like you got the hang of it sir hehe

I think the dog still doesn't know that its biting is hurting someone - our dogs can playfully bite, but they never bite *hard* if they are on playful mode.

we never did teach our dogs any tricks, but they did however learn to sniff out them rats that trepass in our property XD

sabihin mo mo palang "daga daga daga" at naka standby mode na sila ^^,

Unknown said...

The best thing that I learned from my dogs is the virtue of patience. Like human beings, dogs too need discipline but how to do that requires a lot of trial and errors. I think that in the end you develop a "secret language" with your dog ... your slightest move (or even the way you look at him or her) sends a message to him/her. Parang tao sila. Nakakaaliw. It compensates for all the time and effort you spend training them.

rolly said...

batjay Me pagka-spoil nga ata to eh. Pag dumating na ko, sasalubong na yan at maya maya, hihiga at magpapahimas ng tyan.

ipanema malayo pa sigurong magka apo ako. Ang babata pa ng mga anak ko eh. hehe

joseph d Yun nga ang problema eh. Nawalay agad sa ina kaya wala pang biting inhibition. Pero, unt unti nang nasasanay. Mahina na kung mangagat man.

Di kaya me lahi yung aso nyo? LAhing pusa, hahaha. Biro lang ha.

bugsy Yes indeed. You need a lot of patience.