Monday, April 02, 2007

And then there was one


About twenty one years or so ago, I was a young man who brought his children to school. There I was on my way to work with four little children at the back of the car, cruising along SLEX, way too early in the morning as the school is quite far from home. It seemed like it was going to be forever. But time does fly and fast. I have become old and one by one, the children are flapping their wings and taking off to conquer their own world. First, my eldest, left about five or six years ago. Then, my second, graduating as the concert master for the school orchestra under his belt last year and now. my third child, Kim. Yup! My third child said goodbye to her school for thirteen years last Saturday. I am down to the last child riding with me to school!



One side story prior to my daughter's graduation that I would like to share is this young Korean girl who befriended her. You see, Kim, my daughter, is by far the friendliest of the four children. For one reason or another, she became very friendly with the Koreans who study in our school. She knows everybody by name and everybody just have to call her nanme whereever they meet her. Well, there is this young girl, about ten years old, who talked to her inside the comfort room and became friends with her. Two days before graduation, this girl gave Kim a letter which touched us very much. It starts with Congraduation!!! I don't know but I just find that ingenious? In the letter, she also included a short poem. Remember that this is a Korean girl just beginning to learn English. I am reprinting it here to show you how sweet the girl is, naive, daring and talented. THis is how it goes:

Why?

Why
Why now?
why not later after 2 yrs
why will you live
So soon
With no notice?
I hate goodbye's
Why? O Why?
Should I Say
Goodbye.
Cant Collage or
University
wait or can't
you wait for me
to turn your age


_________________________________







In another story, my eldest son, who plays violin for the University Chamber orchestra, played in An Overture to the Soul on March 13, the group's final concert for this schoolyear. What made the evening a true treat was that they played together with some guest performers coming from the Manila Symphony Orchestra and the UST Symphony Orchestra. Not only did my son looked like a pro in his tux but the repertoire was quite impressive, too.

Symphony no. 5
-Ludwig van Beethoven

The Swan
-Camille Saint-Saens

Moonlight Sonata
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Aquarium
-Camille Saint-Saens

Brandenburg Concerto no.3
-Johann Sebastian Bach

Overture to the Magic Flute
-Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Toccata and Fugue
-Johann Sebastian Bach

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi
-Carl Orff

If only I could invite you all, I would have. Don't worry. I have yet to see my son play my dream concert. That would be him playing Beethoven's Romance in F with a full orchestra. By then, I would have saved enough money to invite you all :-).

As a gift to his graduating sister, Mickey not only attended the graduation but even played in the school's orchestra where he was formerly its concert master. Needless to say that his friends were happy to see him play with them again.

By and large, my "accomplishments", so far, are not bad for someone who has to bleed to earn for a simple living.

20 comments:

Ate Sienna said...

touched na touched naman ako sa entry na ito, tito rolly. i can just imagine how high on happiness you and tita nitz must be feeling right now with your children's accomplishments.

indeed, mereseng pawisan ka pa ng dugo sa kakakayod, kung ganito naman ka-successful, at a very young age even, ang mga anak mo, sulit na sulit ang bawa't pulang patak :)

tintin said...

If my child could have an ounce of your children's talent, personality, beauty, intelligence, solve na solve na ako!

Congratulations to Kim!

Anonymous said...

Saludo ako sa inyo as caring parents. It is worth it, especially when the kids do their parts. MOre power to your family!

Anonymous said...

Pa! March 23, 2007 yung concert ha! hahahaha! Pag kaya ko na tugtugin yung Romance in F... bahala na... ahahahah

salamat sa lahat!

rolly said...

ate sienna Yes, we were ecstatic but we cannot yet hang our gloves, so to speak. We have to be more vigilant as these kids are turning into little adults discovering new freedom.

tintin I'm sure yours will turn up better. You have more resources than we do. I'm sure you'll be a very good mom.

bertn Thank you, kind sir. Welcome to my blog.

mickey Oo nga, ano. Mali ako ng napindot na key.

NOYPETES said...

Dakila kang ama Rolly! Mabuhay ang mga katulad mong di makasarili at tapat sa pagtupad ng turo ng kabutihan at tamang pamumuhay sa mga anak at pamilya mo! Ano pa nga ba ang maiiwan mong kayamanan sa mga anak mo kundi ang yaman ng isip nila na siyang magiging gabay nila at harinawang ma-idulot din nila sa mga darating na kabahagi nila sa buhay balang araw.

rolly said...

Noypetes Dakila? I don't think my family would agree very much. I have my own misgivings and fallures, too. There have been instances when I have shown weakness. Parenting is a continuous hit or miss kind of thing and everyday is a learning experience. I'm glad sinuswerte pa rin ako kahit papano.

Nick Ballesteros said...

The years have been kind to you Tito Rolly. If what they say about the fruit not falling far from the tree, then their accomplishments are a reflection of how you cared and nurtured them.

Gilbert Yap Tan said...

Rolly, anyone can be a father or mother. It takes someone special like you and nitz to be a dad and mom. Congratulations to you and nitz! this early, dapat maghanda na kayong dalawa na maging empty-nesters. :)jgwm

rolly said...

Watson Yes, the years had been truly kind to us. Sana magpatuloy pa ito hanggang sa dulo ng walang hanggan.

Gilbert Empty-nesters? Suddenly I felt longingness. These kids have been with me half of my life. Sana matagal pa yun, hehe

cathy said...

congrats titorolly.

batjay said...

CONGRADUATION Bossing!

sarap siguro ng pakiramdam ng isang tatay na nakikita niyang maganda ang nangyayari sa mga anak niya.

great job at OK na OK ang pagpapayat mo - you look great.

ingat.
jay

ipanema said...

Oh, this is such a heartwarming post! I am so envious of you. You're witnessing them become independent and fulfill their dreams. I'm still on my way. Yes, time flies...fast!

Hey, congratulations to your children and of course to the proud parents!

That's quite good effort on the Korean student. Just more practise eh?

Anonymous said...

Mabuhay ka, Tito Rolly!

Hindi ka lang dakila, humble ka pa. You and Tita Nitz have raised wonderful children. You make parenting look so easy even if we all know it isn't.

Please extend to Kim and Mickey my congratulations!

Unknown said...

You reap what you sow. My heartfelt congratulations to you, Tito Rolly! You certainly have reason to be proud.

the amateur ear said...

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful, wonderful post! This is what blogging is all about. What a wonderful life, TitoRolly. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

I believe you have the most fulfilled life as a father and you children have given you happiness and pride beyond any man's wildest dreams. Three graduations and one to go. Your first three children have given you immense pride and the last, hope and anticipation.

You know, Rolly, I just realized that most of the time we start off our comments by congratulating you! And you deserve our congratulations!

When we meet next, I hope you can rub off some of your wisdom on me...:)

Cogratulations, yet again! Way to go, man!

Anonymous said...

ang ganda ninyong tingnan na buong pamilya nakikiisa sa pagdiriwang ng graduation ng kaanak. tatay ko po ay hindi umaatend ng mga graduation naming magkakapatid. minsan lang sya umatend ng graduation ko nung high school, umuwi pa ng maaga.

congratulations po sa inyo.

rolly said...

cathy Thanks
Batjay Medyo lumiliit na. 20 pounds to go. :-)

Ipanema I've always been proud of my kids no matter what. hehehe

A little more practice and that Korean would be great. She's got a good, sincere and strong heart.

Doc Emer Of all the bloggers, it's only you that has seen my family in person. Nakita mo kung pano sila magkulitan, haha

bugsybee Malayo pa ang lalakbayin, marami pang itatanim.

AM Thanks. I hope to see you in one of Mickey's concerts. :-)

Bayi Rub you some wisdom? How can that be? You are far wiser than I am. Your children are all accomplished now and I envy you, kind sir.

anonymous MAraming salamat. Sigurado akong may magandang dahilan ang iyong ama para hindi maka attend ng graduation.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have great kids! Congratulations to you and your wife for having raised them so well! :)