Saturday, April 29, 2006

She finally laid to rest

Life is not always fair. Sometimes, I question the reason of being born only to die later. This question often comes up when I encounter death in the family. I feel the pain of having to lose someone who is really close to me and I begin to ponder why we are given life here on earth.

To the poor, it may seem that life may be very fulfilling to the rich as they can enjoy everything it has to offer. They can buy every luxury imaginable. Live comfortably in a big house, jump on a fancy car and go anywhere they want to, be assured that there will always be food on the table, wear expensive clothes and jewelries which can really be intimidating to the poor.

But that is not what life is. Life is about what your take is on living. To the average person, my aunt's life was not exactly what one dreams about. She has lived a full and simple life. Not that she was living in abject poverty as she lived in her own simple house, ate three square meals a day and yet, if you only base one's station in life by her lifestyle, you'd probably say she did not live in comfort either. At the most extreme, you'd probably say she was not happy. How wrong this perception can be. She had always been happy. She always greeted you with a full smile on her face, the kind that says "it's good to see you. Welcome to my house." If only department store ladies would learn how to give out that smile, they'd be selling their products to even the most skeptic buyer. I never saw her angry, too. She kept her cool and always gave an advice or two. She just did her business without any care in the world. Most impressive of all is that she would go out of her way to help a friend in need. That was the last one she did in her life - help a friend.

There was this blind neighbor who apprached her for a loan at around 2:00 pm last Thursday. Not keeping cash in her person, she offered to accompany the friend to another neighbor. After having introduced the two, she turned around complaining about the heat and collapsed. She was comatose since Saturday last week and yesterday, during her son's, Manolo's, third death anniversary, she passed away. Interestingly, her husband died, March 17, the death anniversary of another son, Pancho, who died in Vietnam during the 60's.

Goodbye, "mommy". Make God happy with your smile and may you rest in peace.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

My condolences. May her soul rest in peace.

tintin said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. My condolences.

Romeo Moran said...

Condolences.

cathy said...

my condolences titorolly.

i like the thoughts, the questions about the reason for living.

about going out of her way to help friends.

it was what made her happy, what made her feel useful and important after her "reasons for living" are gone.

sometimes, i am asked by some people
why i still help friends when several times, i have been betrayed and disappointed.

but whatever good deed that was done
gives happiness to the giver. honest and pure happiness. sabi nga nila priceless.

your aunt was a kindhearted person.
A person who is generous in smile is not selfish.

It is only one thing that is given which does not involve cost and yet many people do not give it away.

thanks for this article,titorolly.

Vicky said...

rolly, heartfelt condolences to you and your family. celebrate the life of your auntie. it's hard for the loved ones left behind but cherish her memory that will stay with you in your life time and you are lucky to have known a person like her. god bless

Vicky said...

rolly, sad news and my heartfelt condolences. it's hard for the loved ones left behind but her life will be an inspiration to everyone. God Bless.

batjay said...

nakikiramay kami ni jet bossing. i am sure your aunt is in better hands.

Rey A said...

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. Allow me to convey to you and your family my sincere condolences.

{illyria} said...

deepest condolences, rolly.

Anonymous said...

tama ka dun papa. pag nakikita niya ulit tayo, laging ngiti ang unang makikita mo at hihintayin ang pagkakataong mag salita siya. buti na nalang kahit papaano natugtugan ko siya ng "Hating Gabi". Kahit sa ganung paraan lang, nakita ko na napasaya ko siya.

hirap naman mag sulat... bumibigat ang mga mata ko. at lalu na kanina. buti hindi ako na iyak.

oops.... napupuwing lang ako....

Ate Sienna said...

my condolences, tito rolly. she's led a full life despite its simplicity. kanya-kanya lang namang trip yan eh. she's happy with what she did and that was more important.

good luck nga pala sa bakasyon mo... balitaan mo kami ha.. at ang pictures wag kalimutan!

JMom said...

She sounds like my kind of woman, simple and unpretentious. That's what I aspire to. My condolences, Rolly on your loss.

rolly said...

To all of you, Bayi, tintin, Pepseeh, Rey A and Transiencethank you very much. My aunt will surely be missed.

cathy YEs, in spite of her simple lifestyle, she was a very happy woman. Did not aspire for anything more than she can have.

Vicky Yes, we are happy for having her in our lives. Thank you.

Batjay and Jet Thanks for the condolences. I'm sure she is. She was a kind-hearted person. There is no other place to go but in good hands.

Mickey Na-ovbserve mo rin pala na parating nakangiti lang si mommy auring no? You know what? It's okay to cry even if you're a man. Wag lang parati, hahaha

ATe Sienna Thank you. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy my stay here. Always have.

JMom Yes, some people think having all those riches would make us happy when it is simple living that really makes us so. thank you for the kind words.

Cerridwen said...

tito rolly,

My heart goes out to you. We don't cry for they are now at peace, we cry because we know we will miss them. I am so sorry I missed this. I feel so terribe. I have been wrapped up with my own personal stuff I forget to check on good friends like you. My irresponsibility as a friend sometimes catches up to me this way. You are in my thoughts.

rolly said...

Cerridwen Thanks a lot! I'm feeling okay. Yes, it is missing her that hurts but knowing that she's in better hands is very comforting.