Saturday, February 23, 2013

The World Is Yours to Conquer



One of the greatest obligations parents have towards their children is giving them a good education.  My wife and I produced four and we are proud to say that half of our obligation to our children is now complete. To some people, it would seem like we have accomplished what we ought to do rearing four children.  However, I believe that graduation from college is not the end of our obligations.  The true test will have to wait until they become parents themselves and what they would become in the future.

Today marks a very important day in our lives as parents with our youngest having finished college.  Not only that.  On his own volition, he applied for a job at the Philippine Airlines and got accepted.  We don't exactly know what it is he is going to do at the company but he has his eyes on being a flight attendant eventually. Neither my wife nor I have interfered with our children's choices.  All we want is for them is to finish their studies, get a stable job and live life happily.

With all our children employed and working, we can rest assured that they will be okay come what may as they will be self-sufficient. While I know we will come to their beck and call at anytime they may need our help, we know that they will persevere.  We think we reared them to be independent as early as grammar school. WE never pampered them. We never even helped them with their assignments once they reached puberty. 

AS I have said to his older siblings, I say this again to our youngest, Coby.  The world is at your feet and life will be good to you if you treat it right.  Always strive to be happy.  This cannot be had with material riches (although it will make life easier) or extreme want for anything worldly.  Often, this too much wanting only turns to greed.  What you have to do is to live honestly and simply while aspiring only for the best.  Aim high and keep trying until you get what you want.  Be proud with your accomplishments sans the arrogance.  Make sure that every task you set out to do is accomplished well.  Always have a clear head and keep your feet planted on the ground.  

At any rate, we congratulate you for a job well done.  We love you very much. 


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I wrote to you earlier on, you are so good parent and produced a very good children. I am proud to be your cousin and I will keep praying for your happiness in life.

Mickey said...

Swerte lang namin sa inyo ni mama. Ibabalik namin unti-unti ang mga pinag hirapan niyo para sa amin. :)

Anonymous said...

Rolly, so glad you are sharing this good news with the world of the Internet! I know you and your wife are so proud of Coby now that he's graduated -- just as you are proud of your other children-now-adults. Glad Coby has a job with the airlines -- hey, glad that he has a job period! Nowadays jobs seem to be so hard to come by, but he's succeeded in securing one, and a good one at that.
All our best to you. Joe and I are doing just fine here in our green cloister -- and the dogs and cat, too!
Gwen and Joe

rolly said...

Ate Chilla We always try to be good parents. I know I am not even half of what my father has been but I still try.

Mickey Well, thank you. :)

Gwen and Joe "Glad he has a job period" Exactly.
I'm so glad to hear that you and Joe are enjoying yourselves. You deserve it a lot.

nitz said...

Really great accomplishments for both of us. THANK YOU and love you much

rolly said...

Nitz It has been a pleasant journey which we can always be proud of, isn't it?

commuter said...

Wow, Sir! I sense your extreme happiness and pride with your son's accomplishment. I am happy for you and your wife for the life you gave your kids. I am equally happy for Coby for his job and degree. I may not be his favorite teacher (hehe), but I also take pride and joy in seeing a former student graduate. Congratulations to all of you!

rolly said...

commuter Thanks. No worries. I don't think he had a favorite teacher anyway. Of course, I couldn't speak for him, though. At any rate, I will relay to him your well wishes.

Paolo Lagunilla said...

Congrats tito rolly! hehe.. I didn't even know about him until you blogged about it. Goes to show how old and outdated I am. I only know Kraig, Kim, and Mickey.

at least you can take life a little easier, and do the things you really enjoy. :D

rolly said...

Lagu that's how i remember Kgan call you :-), thanks. Coby is the youngest and was just probably in grade school when you were both in Zobel. If you thin you're old, what does that make me? haha Regards to everyone in your family

bertN said...

Congrats to the graduate and the proud parents!