Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Trouble finds you anywhere

i don't know but it seems like trouble will find you anywhere you are, even in the most unexpected places where you think you are safe. What's more, it comes unexpectedly. This happened to me last Friday. I was home early and was watching cable tv when the phone rang. It was one of my nephews. He was at a precinct somewhere in Pasig.

What happened was he was at a mall window shopping. He did not know that an artist was preparing to mount a pastel painting into a glass frame. He accidentally stepped on it causing the glass to break. He was being asked to pay for the frame. He argued that it was not his fault as they were in a hallway where people pass by. He was taken to the police station when they could not agree. My nephew is currently jobless and had no money to pay for anything. Frantic saying that he was being threatened to be put to jail, he called me. I asked to talk to anybody from the precinct and was given the mall's security guard who took him there. (I had to know what happened from someone else's point of view.) True enoughm the artist is in one of those whose stalls are in the middle of the walkway. I told the guard that I don't think it was my nephew's fault. After all, he knew that the place where he was mounting his frame is a walkway so he should have done something to protect his work. I even told him to go ahead and sue my nephew but they have to release him first. Realizing that nothing can happen that way, I asked them where they were and promised I was on my way.

When I got to the station, I learned that the painting was being framed as it was already being sold. However, because of the incident, the buyer did not want to purchase it anymore as she believes it was bad luck. Tough! When I met the artist, I expected an argumentative, aggressive person, ready to charge my nephew with everything. I was ready to argue that it was him who was negligent. To my relief, he was soft spoken and kind. When I asked him what he wanted, he said if we can just at least shoulder half of the price of the glass frame. I acceded knowing that he has lost so much that day. However, I did not have any cash with me and will only have money on Monday. At first he wouldn't agree. "If that's the case, then I will just have to argue that my nephew has done nothing wrong and that we won't agree to paying anything."

To make a long story short, he finally agreed and the case was blottered by the police. Here's the catch. When I went to my sister's house on Sunday to withdraw money and give the amount to my nephew, I found out that my money is Php000 short. He really has to wait for Monday. So I told my nephew that I (read my wife) will take care of it. The thing is we lost his contact number and had no way of reaching him. Since my wife has given him her office number, we were hoping he'd contact us but even that did not materialize. I guess I will have to go to the shop myself on Sunday. Such trouble!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Troubles find you even at the safest place, doing the safest thing (at home, sleeping)because you have a big heart...you reminded me of my father. My Inay, in her rare moments of anger, used to say to my Itay, "Dapat ang ipinangalan sa iyo ay Salvador!" He saved a lot of people from trouble or near disater or both, whether they were relatives, friends or even unfriendly neighbors...AND at our family's expense or economic or social disadvantage! But you know what? We suffered for it but we loved him for what he did without any expectation of heavenly reward, earthly thanks or even a passing acknowledgement from one who recognized a good deed if he/she sees one.

ipanema said...

Oh, such days are sometimes unavoidable. It's tough how things went. A pity indeed. Bakit ganyan. Minsan may araw na malas talaga kahit nagpakabait ka sa araw na yun. :)

Panaderos said...

Hats off to you for your kindness and willingness to go out of your way to get a nephew out of the mess he's in.

Btw, thank you very much for visiting my blog! :-) It's very much appreciated. Take care.

Anonymous said...

murphy's law?

rolly said...

bertn Hindi pa naman ganong ka altruistic or noble. He's family and I can't desert him.

Ipanema GAnyan at talaga pag minamalas ka. Patulog na ko nun eh.

panaderos Been trying to look for your blog before but I think yoy never provided a link the first time you came for a visit.

mari Parang ganun na nga

Panaderos said...

Hi Rolly,

My earlier entries here really did not provide for a link because I wasn't blogging yet at the time. My blog is new. I just set it up over the New Year holidays. Thanks again.

cathy said...

ano naman ang ichacharge sa kaniya na pwede siyang ikulong.

Dapat ang mga tao hindi basta-basta sasama sa presinto not unless my warrant of arrest at alam kung ano ang kasong isasampa.

Hindi nga dapat nakablotter yan.

Alam noong taong wala siyang laban.

Harrassment lang ang ginagawa nila.

batjay said...

parating sinasabi ng kaopisina kong intsik nung nasa singapore pa kami - sh*t happens.

pagpasensyahan mo na lang yon bossing. at least walang nangyaring masama except sa hassle.

bayi said...

Like Mari, I think Murphy is doing a number on you! :)

But I don't mean to sound unkind. You have my sympathies.

rolly said...

Cathy I would have argued no end with the officers but it didn't sound wise at the time. You know how cops are once you've piqued their "interest".

bayi It seems like it is Murphy's Law at work. A little update. The guy has not contacted us yet in spite of our attempts to ask him to call us. Oh well...

cathcy said...

hindi ba magkakaproblema ang nephew mo pagkuha ng police clearance later?
Nakablotter eh.

rolly said...

cathy Hindi naman siguro. Blotter lang na me amicable settlement na nangyari. Wala namang kasong ipinatong.

rolly said...

Batjay Ganun na nga lang ang magagawa namin. S**t does happen from time to time. Charge it to experience.

Rey A said...

A very belated greeting: May you have A Blessed and Peaceful New Year. I see you had a grand and well deserved holiday before the year ended and compliments of a friend at that. Nakakainggit. I'm just sorry to read that one week into the new year reality has a way of kicking in. Good luck and be well.

cathy said...

i just read a blog somewhere about a lady who broke the glass door of a beauty parlor because she forced to open it. they were asked to pay for the cost but they haggled to reduce it by 30 per cent.

when they consulted a lawyer, they were advised that it is them who have the right to sue because the broke glass could have injured them.

same case with your nephew. he has the right to sue the artist or whoever owns or rents the stall. frames have glasses and when placed
carelessly where people can be injured when broken, they can be sued for damage.

Anonymous said...

That really sucks man. Thats the reason I stay out of those arts and craft stores or anywhere you can break things! LOL.

You've been tagged btw rolly. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Hassle!

Naisahan ka yata, Tito Rolly. That was an accident and the loss should have been borne by the artist who was negligent himself.

Also, they had no right detaining your nephew.

So where is the nephew? He should have offered to bring the money to the artist.

What a way to start a year! I hope the rest of the year is trouble-free. :)

Anonymous said...

off topic: tito rolls, baka po gusto nyong pumasyal sa vargas museum...may exhibit ang mga kabarkada nyo.

-charlotte

the amateur ear said...

Weird, weird cops. If your nephew's case had gone to the prosecutor that day, I really doubt if he would take the trouble to file a criminal charge again, since there clearly was no criminal intent on the part of your nephew. It's a civil, not a criminal, case. The cops shouldn't have threatened your nephew with jail. Oh well.

rolly said...

Rey A Happy New Year to you, too.

cathy I thought about that pero mukhang malabong maintindihan, even by the policeman we were talking to. Taka pa nga siya nang sabihin kong yung artist ang negligent eh. As in wala siyang ka clue clue kung bakit o pano. Wala ako sa mood makipagtalo that night as I was already ready for bed.

Trench Tingnan ko kung magagawa ko yung tag ha. Medyo marami-rami na rin akong di pa napapaunlakan eh. But thanks for tagging me.

abugsy Mukhang tinatakot nila yung nephew ko nung sabihin nya saking ikukulong daw siya kaya ako napasugod eh. Imposible sabi ko. Kaya lang, ayun, hindi kami makauwi hanggat hindi nagkakasundo.

Ayoko nang papuntahin yung pamangkin ko dun at baka mapikon eh mapaaway lang. What is interesting is until now, hindi kumokontak yung tao samin inspite of repeated SMS.

charlotte sinu-sino? Tingnan ko kung makakasilip ha. Ang layo kasi ng pinapasukan ko eh.

AM PUmunta na rin ako kasi mahirap na at baka makatuwaan yung pamangkin ko e kawawa naman. Byernes ng gabi e kung iklong di Lunes pa makakalabas. Pinas ka na ba?

Svelte Rogue said...

man, naisahan ka don. kawawa nephew mo. naiinis ako sa kwento dahil you end up losing something you shouldn't at all. parang kasalanan mo pang tanga yung artist. dang.