Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My little girl is now a grown-up!

I had to attend a seminar on Labor Management today in one of the buildings at T. M. Kalaw. As it was just the start of a two-day seminar, the topic was a bit light and a little old. We've learned about the rudiments of communication before. But I must admit, the speaker was very lively and contagious that if I was to rate the seminar, I'd say it's an 8 with 10 as the highest.

This blog is not about the seminar, though, as the title suggests. It's about my eldest daughter. She's a marketing major and is now employed in one of the offices in Makati. Since they are having a show of their product starting tomorrow, she had told me and my wife that she'll be coming home late tonight. Thinking that I can get a ride from Kalaw to Makati, I decided to fetch her and be at ease that she'll go home safe. I called her up to tell her that I am coming so that we can go home together. At first, she said what was I to do there? She would be late and I might get impatient as it was only 6 pm. I told her not to worry and assured her that I would not be in her way. She wouldn't even notice I was there, so to speak.

When I got to the place, she sat me on the sofa and left. I read my book prepared for the long wait. As I sat there, I can see her busily doing her chores and I just thought, "my girl is no longer the child I carried in my arms, fed and took to school." Somehow, I felt a strong feeling of accomplishment as I watched her trying to earn a living. I may terribly miss my baby girl but she has grown to be a responsible woman. We are simple folks with simple dreams and seeing her in a workplace is something me and my wife can truly be proud of.

15 comments:

Dr. Emer said...

May pagka-helicopter parent ka pala, Tito Rolls! Well, it is not surprising...knowing how caring and loving you are to your children.

tintin said...

I can imagine the feeling of accomplishment and well-placed pride in you. Congrats to your daughter!

rolly said...

Doc Emer Uy, second time mo na ikaw ang bwena mano ah. Ano ba ibig sabihin ng helicopter parent? hehehe,

My children are my only pride and joy.

tintin Wow, the beautiful mom to be. This is a glimpse of what parenting is, huh? We are all eagerly awaiting for the arrival of your baby. Take care!

ipanema said...

Oh, this is heart-warming. Inggit ako. Kasi ako tinitingnan ko rin mga anak lalo na ang eldest ko pero umiiling ako sabay 'kelan kaya matuto to?' hahaha. tigas ng ulo...mana sa nanay? :)

lovely post! :)

G. said...

... and before you know it, you'll be walking her down the isle into someone else's arms...

sorry, couldn't resist!

rolly said...

ipanema sometimes I think we have raised this kids to be too independent. Much to my disappointment, hIndi na minsan nakikinig. basta gagawa ng sariling diskarte.

g hey, long time no see! When are you coming back here?

Anyway, that is an inevitable reality which I hope will not be soon. And my only prayer is taht she meets someone who will be good to her.

Unknown said...

Tito Rolly, this post about your little girl growing up reminds me of the musical-movie Fiddler On The Roof especially what I think was the saddest song in that movie, "Sunrise, Sunset" ... "Is this the little girl I carried? Is this the little boy at play? I don't remember growing older, when did they? ..."

auee said...

You remind me of my Tatay, well sort of. When I lived far away in Uni, he & Nanay would drop by to check on me kadalasan without warning. It's funny coz most of the time we'd miss each other, I'll be in NE they'll be in Laguna hehe... When I started working Tatay would dropby the office so much that our security guards know him by name.

rolly said...

bugsy Exctly what I have in mind while I was writing the post.
:-)

auee There had been times I wanted to sneak up on her but I know she'd get mad. She doesn't want me doing that. hehe

Anonymous said...

This is the pride of a father who has done an excellent job bringing up the daughter!

Sometimes as we look back as parents, our children are our only assets that are worth something in life.

rolly said...

bayi Yes. I am beaming with pride. I hope I have everything to do with this but it was a joint effort with my wife. To date, I think we've still done a good job on the kids.

cbs said...

sabi ni laurence fishburne sa anak nya sa pelikulang boyz n d hood, any idiot with a dick can make a child, but only a real man can raise him.

i am honored to know a real man like you, tito rolls.

batjay said...

ang galing sir - sarap ng feeling siguro ano? iba-ibang stages ng pagka tatay. ngayon nasa magandang stage ka na: parang in effect, payback for all the years you've been a great dad.

rolly said...

cbs That's a very nice thing to say to someone. Thanks.

batjay hehe, oo nga. Return of investment, kumbaga. Hindi nga lang monetary hahaha

Rey A said...

An apt title to your post: "Thoughts of a Proud Parent" :)...sabi nga nila "you've come a long way" and finally you're there.. but not quite because life's story continues to unfold. You experienced what I call a moment with God. A realization of His blessing. A proud moment. May His face continue to shine on you and your family.