Sunday, September 10, 2017

Fanily Unity: Against all odds

About several months ago, my eldest sister, Linda, told me that my only brother, Renie, has not moved for almost a month.  I know this cannot be good. I told my siblings to immediately advice my brother to see a doctor.  True enough, he has been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer and it has mestastasized from the prostate up to his lungs, bones and kidney.  Our nephew, Manny, is an oncologist and he advised to have a lot of tests done on him.  He was given medication to stop his balls from producing hormones that feed the mass in his prostate.  He had more tests done to him and all this cost money.

With my siblings all retired, the financial burden naturally rests on me.  The good thing is that we have relatives who, in one way or another, are willing to help even if we have not sought for it. Our cousin, Priscilla, has sent money twice and this somehow alleviated the expenses.  To think that we have just begun the fight against the big C!
got high.
On August 22 0rr 24, he was admitted at Rizal Medical Center due for castration to finally end the activity in his groin area.  When he was about to be operated on, his potassium was low and the doctors had to postpone the operation until they have corrected his potassium level.  A day after, he was wheeled to the operating room and was about to be sedated when his blood pressure . they tried to correct this but to no avail that they had to put him to the recovery room and thereafter wheel him back to his room.  Finallly, on the 29th,  my brother had  a successful operation and all we have to do now is wait and see what the outcome shall be.  My nephew said that should his PSA level be controlled, he wouldn't have to undergo chemotherapy anymore.  But should this happen, then the real trouble begins.  Each session should cost around Php30,000 and should his body allow it, there should be around ten sessions. 

Special thanks to our cousin, Mario, who assists my brother everywhere he went, ran errands when he was in the hospital. Also to our nephew in Canada, Pocholo who sent money, my eldest sister, Linda, who kept my brother at bay telling him what he can and cannot do. 

On Sept 3, my brother turned 76 years old and we decided to  give him a birthday party and everyone chipped in to make that day a special one.  His son Jimmy and his children sent money, too.  My children also gave his a present each and he was very happy.



No comments: