Thursday, July 02, 2009

trade-offs

Alas, the traffic I have to go through everyday is taking its toll on my old car. You see, the SLEX is undergoing its second phase of the skyway and causing a huge traffic gridlock (if that's what its called) on both sides. What used to be a three-lane street has been reduced to two and to make matters worse, the same clowns running the traffic flow refuse to give up the idea of having a counterflow of northbound commuters with us, who they probably consider as southbound second-class citizen road users. In effect, southbound street has been reduced further to just a lane and is naturally causing a very slim bottle neck.

I cannot manage to suffer traffic to and from work. That would be awful. So, what I do is leave the house early, say, 5:30 am and by the time I reach the SLEX, either the counterflow has not started yet or is just about to start. Sometimes, I see the motorcop heading the vehicles running opposite my lane with siren blasting and weaving his motorcycle from left to right as if he was sweeping the floor. \

Last Tuesday, however, in spite of the thirty minute ride to school, I noticed my car was registering a high temperature. That's bad considering that I was not locked up in traffic. I brushed it off thinking maybe I just need to clean the reservoir and add more water. Fine. I did those. Come time to go home, I prayed and headed for battle. As expected, the traffic had already piled up. My car was doing okay until I reached the Sucat area. The temperature was already very high and was continuously increasing. What was I supposed to do but stop and add more water. A kind worker helped to veer away traffic from me. After that, I was on my way again.

Then lo and behold, a traffic jam again at Market Market in C5. God, I'm so close to home darn it! I stopped again to do the same ritual when someone from a tow truck who happens to be right beside me approached me and asked if the car would not start. I told him it's just overheated. You're not getting any cent from me, silly :-)

And so, that was when I decided to either take a leave of absence the following day and take the car to the radiator shop or better yet, hitch a ride with my friend Jay to and from work. I texted him and told him of my predicament. Surprised (not), he replied back with a bargain. Done! Just tell me where to pick you up in the morning and that you will have to drink with us Thursday and Friday Hmmmm, free ride and pleasure vs staying with the mechanic for half a day ... tough choices. Guess what I chose.

Last night, not even a Thursday yet for the regular Thursday club soiree, "we" decided to have a beer or two. Well, as you know how this thirst quenching brew affects the senses, two led to three and then more until it was already way past 9.

Great! I have two more nights of pleasure. However, around 10:30 pm, a family friend called me up to confirm if a text message she received about no classes due to A(H1N1) flu in our school was true. I told her that was just a rumor but I will check it with my superiors just the same. What do I know? It was true. So there, what would have been a win-win trade off with my thirsty friend has been put on a halt just like that.

BUMMER!!!!!

8 comments:

BlogusVox said...

That's the problem with Manila's traffic. They don't plan carefully how to place road construction with minimal inconvenience. You measure tuloy from point A to point B in terms of "time" instead of distance.

bertN said...

I know the feeling when you are driving a car that is overheating and you are rushing to get home or to reach your destination before your car goes kaput LOL.

bing said...

oh, i had had enough of cars overheating. running out of gas is the worst experience i had!

rolly said...

bertN Tell me about it. The situation is even greater when you're stuck in heavy traffic. You always look at the temperature praying it's not yet time to stop.

bing Running out of gas is the most humiliating thing that can happen to you on the road. hahahaha

Unknown said...

I can almost imagine the heat. OK na ba car mo for it's next trial?

I don't follow Pinas news anymore, pero nasabi sa akin na Pinas na daw ang may highest # of reported cases of swine flu.

Let's hope it doesn't claim many victims & DOH gets its act together.

Panaderos said...

I hope your car's fixed by now.

It is a bummer. Swine flu put a stop to what could have been another fun evening. :)

pamatayhomesick said...

lalo na ngayon mainit ang lugar..

hirap talaga pag nagkagnyan.

ang solution daw.bili na daw ng bago..ha ha ha.

rolly said...

auee Nasa talyer pa rin. I was told it's sthe piston rings naman ngayon ang sira.

As regards the swine flu, marami na nga. The good thing is it's not deadly. Medyo mild lang yung strain na dumapo dito.

panaderos Well, extended naman ang pagsabay ko dun sa kaibigan ko. Tuloy ang ligaya!

ever kung pauutangin mo ko, bili ko ng bago ngayon din. hahaha