Thursday, June 29, 2006

Burn Out

I know what you're thinking. Based on the fact that I seldom blog these days, you are guessing that I am running out of things to blog, right? Nope, it's not. I may not be as prolific as other bloggers out there who can blog two or three entries a day but rest assured that I have sufficient material (yet) to blog about at least twice a week. It's just that work gets in the way and I could not find time to sit down and consolidate my thoughts.

So, what is this entry about? This is really about burn out in the work place.

According to this site, quoting Ayala Pines and Elliott Aronson, burn out is (A) state of physical, emotional and mental exhaustion caused by long term involvement in emotionally demanding situations. Burn out is something a professional dread. I do. It would be like living in limbo when this state sets in. Sure you work but you are definitely not happy. Chances are you would be staring in space most of the time wondering what the other side of the fence is like. This is probably where the phrase "the grass is greener on the other side" is true.
In a situation like this, not only have you become a liability to the organization you are in, probably scattering negative vibes on your comrades but most importantly, depriving yourself of happiness. Truly, burn out is depressing. Even your family will suffer for they would feel every heartaches and headaches you bring from work.
The key to a successful career has always been to love every minute of it. Lucky are those who are in a field where they really belong. Imagine doing what you want to do most and getting paid for it? Undeniably a dream job. I am quite fortunate. I have never dreamt of becoming a teacher (having been a nightmare to most of my teachers in high school) and yet, here I am, helping myu colleagues shape young minds to be rewsponsible adults with the best of my ability. Being a teacher is no routinary job. Hence, I do not find it boring. Every year is a new one. New students entering your classroom, new teachers being hired hence dealing with different personalities which means different challenges. Heck, there is something new everyday.
I know I still have a long way to go. My mind is still whirling with ideas. Right now, I am about three to four works ahead in ideas aobut what I would like to paint. I know what to teach for the whole year and I have new lessons to impart to my students in spite of having taught for almost half of my life. Notwithstanding, i am aware that burn out can happen to the best of us. Nobody is immune to it. It's a matter I have to be careful with. Once I see the signs, I know I should immediately do something about it. I know I am not immune to this phenomenon so I might as well think about it now. What should I do should this thing occur in the future. i have a few ideas how to combat this dreaded state.

1. Go out with friends and forget about work. Make new ones specially in the work place.
2. Find new reasons why I should go to work. Earning for my family just won't cut it anymore, I'm sure.
3. Pace myself. Do not be overwhelmed by stress. Just make sure I work while the boss is around.
4. Try to look for amusing things while working. Laughter would be a welcome respite from a tiring day.
5. Do not talk about work when I get home. Completely forget about it.
6. When all of these fail, then I know it is time to move on. Maybe this job is not really fulfilling anymore.

17 comments:

batjay said...

naalala ko tuloy yung title ng libro ni erma bombeck - "the grass is always greener near the septik tank".

maraming salamat sa mga tip bossing. mahirap nga pag sobrang engrossed ka sa work, after a while you really get tired sometimes. buti na lang may vacations.

swerte rin ako sa aking place of work dahil maraming mga activities that will take your mind out of what you are doing.

ting-aling said...

Was this for me? When you're working only to get paid so you could pay your mortgage is a sad and sorry thing...does this sound familiar to you?

I have tried your pointers already. Buying time is another thing..if you know what I mean.

rolly said...

Batjay matagal ka pa sa ganyuang stage. I know how much you are enjoying yourself and besides you are just new in your place of work. Kung baga, you are just starting a new adventure. Sarap mo!

ting-aling Actually no. We are coming up with a new issue with our school paper for teachers and one of the topics is burn-out. I don't think you have a case of burn out. Hindi naman totally about your profession ang in crisis eh.

cbs said...

minsan sa sobrang burnout para kang may nakikitang karatulang nakapaskil sa pinto palabas ng opisina at nakasaad: dito ang daan patungong buhay. mas malupit ang stress sa virus, pati kaluluwa tinutupok - kaya nga ang mabisang lunas (bukod sa nabanggit mo) ay mga bagay na intangible din: mag-meditate; mag-moratorium sa panonood ng news; iwasan ang 2nd job; magtanim ng halaman.

pero bilang teacher (teacher din po ako dati sa pinas) halos wala nga akong matandaang panahon na nai-stress ako, bukod na nai-stretch ang bulsa ko sa kakarampot na sweldo.

Ate Sienna said...

hehehe.. nabu-burn out din ba yung walang trabaho? hee, parang gustong-gusto ko nang bumalik sa work force.. but only for the money. masama ba yun?

Vicky said...

naku abo nalang yata ako- sana merong human fire alarm to warn you if 'burn out' is near. have a good weekend

Anonymous said...

the best ang no. 5. it helps.

what if there is really not that big pile of work but you feel stressed out and depressed about the whole thing, burn out din yun?

Anonymous said...

Tito Rolly, I once had a poster that said: Teaching is shaping young minds without losing your own. Even if the job is fun, challenging and fulfilling, feeling burned out is something that we can't avoid especially because we have to burn our candles from both ends to prepare well for lectures or to make quizzes/exams. I'm happy you've taken a proactive stance about the problem. Fight on, right on!

Macross Kitty said...

Hi Tito Rolly, it's been awhile since I made additions to my own blogs.

I really like reason number 2! It made me laugh and it reminded me of that good old movie Groundhog Day.

rolly said...

NvyBlue789 Nice to see you back here. I'm sure you are far from experiencing a burn out. Teachers are blessed with a work that is never routinary.

Mec said...

baka naman nga tito, you're about to cross another threshold kaya ganyan... :) and tae up another role...

how exciting :)

Anonymous said...

oh,but you have so many talents and hobbies, make them your priorities, sideline mo na lang yung teaching,ahehe..

rolly said...

mec No, this is not about me... well not yet. Matgal pa kong mabu-burn out. I'm still enjoying myself in my plsce of work.

Sachiko di pa ko pwedeng mag-shift ng priorities, Sach. Teaching pa rin muna importante. NAg-aaral pa mga anak ko e. But as soon as the youngest graduated from college, and they are all independent, mag-reretire na siguro ako and take another career. ;->

cent said...

So applicable, kahit sa mga students na tulad namin. Lalo na sa college, lalo na sa DLSU kung saan trimestral ang system at sobrang fast-paced ang lahat... phew!

Oo nga pala... Hi Sir Rolly! Musta na po?

Anonymous said...

I left the teaching professtion 17 years ago. Funny thing though, whenever I am confronted with a situation, the teacher in me comes to the forefront! Teaching is still in my blood and I still hope to return to my roots one day.

rolly said...

BAyi I've always done that now. Taking my teaching anywhere I go, that is. I would scold kids misbehaving in the streets, etc.

Do you mean I will be doing that still after I have retired? Drats! That's no fun!

Thanks for the article you sent me re burn out.

rolly said...

Cent What a surprise! No, I don't think that's applicable to students. Being a student is one of the happiest moment in a person's life. Enjoy it!

I'm fine. Never better!

Thanks for coming over and leaving a comment. I