Sunday, February 26, 2006

Follow me, where I go!

Just got back from my mother's house and learned that something's a-brewing again with the military. Reports said that Gen. Miranda of the Philippine Marines has been relieved. MalacaƱang denies this saying that it was he who asked to be relieved himself. Well, I don't know what to believe anymore. What bothers me is that Col. Querubin has gone to his "rescue" and calling for supporters to hold a vigil at Fort Bonifacio. Naturally, the president would see this as an act of defiance and has ordered for his arrest. As of this moment, everything is still at a standstill. What is bothersome in this scenario is that the backbone of the military's existence is its obedience to the chain of command. When junior officers begin thinking on their own, defying orders of their superiors, chances are, the foot soldier can do so, too. Simple logic, right? Now what will the AFP be in the future but a composition of cliques, disunited and practically leaderless. Not a very encouraging scenario, is it? My question is, if Gen. Miranda did ask to be relieved, why does he not come out in the open, clear things with his men and tell them to respect and obey his replacement? What is he waiting for? Why would he want this vigil on his behalf go through? My bet is that either MalacaƱang is not saying the truth or he is enjoying the limelight. As Andy Warhol said, everybody is entitled to at least 15 minutes of fame.

-------------

It's now 10:00 pm and the latest is that they seem to have resolved the crisis. Good! I must be wrong. Thank God. There is hope after all.

9 comments:

Rey A said...

Hello Tito Rolly, I'm back. I should not be calling you Tito since I'm older than you by a couple of years. Just trust me on that. But since it's your blog de guerre we'll keep it at that.
I'm saddened and apprehensive of the recent events because of the high profile of the military's involvement. It's not just the threat of a coup but the politics that is brewing within the military. And you have to ask: is GMA in control of the military or is she beholden (to put it lightly) to the military? Marcos had the military in his hands and he played them well. But because of this they had a taste of power and its was damn delicious. Those holding key positions now where the junior officers then and you can't help but surmise that they surely miss the good old days. So the "trapos" should beware. If they think that they can just "use" the military for their agenda and ask them to go back to their barracks when done you just have to ask GMA what's the price on this latest proclamation.
BTW can I put a link of your blog to mine? Enjoy the class suspensions :)

rolly said...

Rey A You;re older than I am. Hmmm, that's nice to know. Seems like blogging is for youngsters e.

Yes, the military is playing vital roles in the affairs of the country. It should not be. And yes, I doubt if PGMA is in control of the military. Even the military doesn't seem to be in control of itself. Too many experimentalists. And yet, I think Gen. Allaga knows what he's doing. Looks like he is a gentleman and knows how to put his men to where they belong. We'll see.

rolly said...

PS And yes, please. Link me up. I'd be honored.

batjay said...

nung araw when i asked to be relieved, akala nila iihi lang ako.

medyo disappointing ano? each day that passes with news like this is like a kick in the butt - as if somebody was egging us on back to when everything was chaotic. excuse me - more chaotic.

kawawa naman ang bayang magiliw.

rolly said...

Batjay di bale. Malapit nang mawala ang appeal nyang mga yan.

Sige relieve yourself muna. ahaha

Anonymous said...

Who in his right mind would ask to be relieved?

kat said...

unrelated to your entry, but just wanted to say thank you! i plan on teaching him to play some sort of musical instrument as soon as he can sit up! thanks again for your well-wishes!

rolly said...

Bayi Well, we don't know what makes one tick. I'm giving malacanang the benefit of the doubt.

Kat That seems to be a good plan. Again, congratulations.

Anonymous said...

psstt....mwah!